Cannot perform inplace upgrade of Sharepoint 07 site RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to perform an inplace upgrade of a Sharepoint 07 site.  The issue is that the installer for 2010 doesn't give me the option to perform an inplace upgrade.  Instead it tries to install side-by-side.  How can I force the installer to perform an upgrade?

System Info:

DB server:  windows server 2008 standard R2 SP1.  Running SQL 2005 standard edition 64 bit.  Product version 9.00.4220.00, product level SP3.

WFE:  windows server 2008 standard SP2.  Running Sharepoint version 12.0.0.6421

I've scoured the technet documentation on this, and I cannot see what I'm missing.  According to the "Upgrade Process Overview" document:

"the administrator runs Setup for SharePoint Foundation 2010 on the server that runs the SharePoint Central Administration Web site. Because the previous version was installed, an in-place upgrade is automatically selected."

I just don't see that upgrade.  I went through with the side-by-side install and that isn't what I want.  I restored from a snapshot, and I'm stuck. 

Thanks

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:38 PM

Answers

• Just to close the loop here (in case anyone searches for this), I was able to resolve the problem by scripting a command line argument to setup.exe which forced it to run an upgrade.  The SP 2010 SP1 installer CD has config.xml files for all the possible install types, so I copied the file from root\Files\SetupFarmUpgrade\config.xml and modified it for my farm.  I then ran from a command line:

d:\setup.exe /config c:\customconfig.xml

which forced the installer to run an in-place upgrade. 

• Marked as answer by PHCOLO Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:26 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

At first you have to run SP 2007 with Service Pack 2, then you should try to use stsadm -o preupgradecheck command to verify if you can upgrade to 2010.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ee517214

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc261992(office.14).aspx

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi, SP 07 with Service Pack 2 is the version I have installed.  At least according to this site  12.0.0.6421 = SP2.  I have run the preupgrade check:  This is the result I got:

Information Only : Supported upgrade types
    The current farm supports the following upgrade types:
    • Inplace Upgrade
    • Content Database Attach

It seems to indicate that I can upgrade the site, but I don't have the option to.  The only other issue listed by the preupgradecheck command is a missing site definition, which belongs to a site that I don't use.  Thanks

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Just an update, I was unable to find the missing site definition, so I deployed a new site def with the same ID as the missing one.  Now when I run stsadm -o preupgradecheck, i don't get any errors at all.  They're all either "Passed" or "Information Only".  Yet when I run the setup.exe, I don't have the option to perform an upgrade. 

Not sure if this is the issue, but I have the following site defs installed.  Copied from the pre-upgrade check report:"

• name = STS, language = 1033, template id = 1, count = 17, status = Internal
    • name = MPS, language = 1033, template id = 2, count = 0, status = Internal
    • name = CENTRALADMIN, language = 1033, template id = 3, count = 1, status =
      Internal
    • name = WIKI, language = 1033, template id = 4, count = 0, status = Internal
    • name = BLOG, language = 1033, template id = 9, count = 0, status = Internal
    • name = MeetingSiteDefinition, language = 1033, template id = 10000, count =
      77, status = Installed
    • name = PoolSiteDefinition, language = 1033, template id = 10002, count
      = 14, status = Installed
    • name = PlaceholderSiteDefinition, language = 1033, template id = 10010,
      count = 1, status = Installed
    • name = SurveySite, language = 1033, template id = 10003, count = 7,
      status = Installed

Install the missing site definitions in order
    for the content to be displayed and upgraded correctly. After upgrading the
    current farm to the new version of sharepoint, any sites that use one of the
    internal site definitions will be upgraded if necessary. Custom site definitions
    will need to be upgraded using a Upgrade Definition File."

Not sure why it says "install the missing site defintions... " since they are all installed.  Do I need Upgrade definition files before the setup program will allow me to attempt an upgrade?

According to this page, it seems like they are optional.  "If an upgrade definition is not available, SharePoint Foundation upgrades Web
    sites based on the previous product version, prioritizing as much as possible migration of data and interoperation, at the expense of potentially exposing current version Features (such as content types) to users."

I'm kinda stuck.  Thanks

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Just to close the loop here (in case anyone searches for this), I was able to resolve the problem by scripting a command line argument to setup.exe which forced it to run an upgrade.  The SP 2010 SP1 installer CD has config.xml files for all the possible install types, so I copied the file from root\Files\SetupFarmUpgrade\config.xml and modified it for my farm.  I then ran from a command line:

d:\setup.exe /config c:\customconfig.xml

which forced the installer to run an in-place upgrade. 

• Marked as answer by PHCOLO Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:26 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:26 PM