none
Master Project Plan is not updatineg RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running in a situation where I have a master plan with sub-projects, the master plan will not show the updated sub-project plans in the web app until you open the master project in project professional and expand the sub-project summary task every time it get an update, then you have to publish the master plan, then the master project will show the date changes in the web app.

Is there a way to make the updates on sub projects show up on the master project immediately without going through all that?

Monday, January 5, 2015 4:26 PM

Answers

• Sgasgous --

It appears so.  I have not extensively used master projects in Project Server 2013, so I will gladly invite the others in this forum to correct me if my answer to you is wrong.  For me personally, I have never expected the behavior you expect from PWA.  My habit is always to open the master project in Microsoft Project after updates are applied, expand all of the subprojects, and begin doing variance analysis.  The process of applying updates will inevitably cause variances, which need to be known and addressed.  After doing that, only then would I save and publish the latest schedule changes.  In fact, I would recommend this approach as a best practice for you as well!  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by SGasgous Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:06 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 11:16 PM

All replies

• SGasgous --

Information about enterprise projects does not show up in PWA until the information has been published in each enterprise project.  That is just how Project Server works.  My question to you is why the PMs are not publishing their projects that are part of the master project.  If they would publish their projects after updating them, you would not be having this problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, January 5, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Dale,

The PMs are publishing their sub-projects on regular basis, and when they publish them they get updated individually.

The issue that we are running into that after the individual sub-projects gets published, the master project will not have the most recent updated dates. We need to open the Master project using Project Pro, then Expand the summary task that represent the project then it will update the dates and timeline for that subproject in the Master project. Then save and publish the Master Project.

Monday, January 5, 2015 6:08 PM
  • Sgasgous --

If the system requires you to open the master in Microsoft Project, expand the subprojects, and then publish the master project, I would recommend you simply do that on a regular basis.  For example, after every round of updates by your PMs to their subprojects, open the master project, expand the subprojects, and publish in Microsoft Project.  I am now aware of any workaround to take care of all this in PWA.  At least following the preceding process, you can be sure you executives will see the latest data in the master project using the PWA interface.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:52 PM
  • Thanks Dale.

So this is an expected behavior of the Project Server 2013? a Master Plan needed to be opened and expanded in Project Pro in order to get updated in PWA?

Monday, January 5, 2015 8:38 PM
  • Sgasgous --

It appears so.  I have not extensively used master projects in Project Server 2013, so I will gladly invite the others in this forum to correct me if my answer to you is wrong.  For me personally, I have never expected the behavior you expect from PWA.  My habit is always to open the master project in Microsoft Project after updates are applied, expand all of the subprojects, and begin doing variance analysis.  The process of applying updates will inevitably cause variances, which need to be known and addressed.  After doing that, only then would I save and publish the latest schedule changes.  In fact, I would recommend this approach as a best practice for you as well!  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by SGasgous Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:06 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 11:16 PM
  • Thanks Dale!
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:06 PM