none
DPM 2010 - Manually Create a Replica RRS feed

• Question

• Is there updated documentation on how to manually create a replica ? I have 250GB of data on a USB drive connected to my DPM 2010 server that came from across the country. I am running the MOUNTVOL command, but it does not show the servername or domain name in the display as the documentation says it should and I am unable to map the drive to copy the data to the replica volume paths becasue I am unable to identify which is which out of the 40+ servers I backup with DPM. DPM 2010 server is Windows2008 R2 64bit and I have a LOT of replicas - my Disk Manager display looks like an infinite bar code.

All my replicas are stored on an iSCSI SAN and are not directly attached to the DPM 2010 server if that makes a difference ?

Help please !!

Friday, September 3, 2010 7:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You will need to right-click the data source under the protection tab, and click on the "click to view details" next to the replica path: in the details.  Copy that into notepad, and just use the destination path to identify replica volume path. 

Source (protected server)      Destination (DPM Server)
    C:\ on MyServer.Domain.com  C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_83ee268a-ae1e-4894-9586-fab18c1366da\752354e6-b5a3-4c68-85da-c551d35c3769\Full\

Use the information and copy the data into the root of the destination path.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 3, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Please find detailed steps at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809133.aspx 
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Part #2 of the Question:

I copied all the \data folder (240GB) to an external HDD on the remote server and then had the local lan admin ship the drive to me at HQ where I performed the import steps. Then, based on the documentation provided, I began the required consistency check. After 96 hours, only 25GB of data has been checked and it is still running ! Does this normally take this long, or is this because of the slow WAN circuit between here and the remote office ? Note: we did enable bandwidth throttling to keep the WAN traffic to a minumum, but this is too slow. I fear by the time the consistency check has completed days from now that the data will have changed so much as to be useless.

If this is the case, is there any other way to manually create the first replica ? 'cause this ain't workin...

Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Hi

The CC does a crc comparison between the data on the protected server and the data on the DPM replica, so that is a time consuming operation.   DPM will keep track of changes on the protected server from the time the CC starts until it completes and bring those changes over as part of the CC process.   When the CC finishes, DPM replica will consistent with the protected data source, so any future synch jobs will be only changed data since the CC completed.

This is working as designed.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:07 PM
  • That is good to know though at this rate it could take weeks to finish.

What happens if and when the WAN circuit goes down ?

Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:36 PM
  • It will run CC later, during the next sync job and try to bring the workload in a healthy state. 

thanks,

Parag Agrawal

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:11 AM
  • But now comes the hard question: The required Consistency Check takes too darn long. Especially with the network bandwith we have available and with throttleing enabled. After 14 days, the process cancelled when one of the servers restarted due to a security patch restart. Then after restarting it again, the WAN went down and the CRC job stopped.

Is there a better faster way to accomplish this ? Is there any way to backup to raw storage on the remote source server and then import that data directly into the primary DPM server ? External USB drives aren't supported. The Firestreamer software only emulates a tape drive for DPM directly. Short of  upgrading the WAN circuit to a T-3 line, there must be a better way to create the manual replica. SAN storage ? NAS devices ? How about a laptop with DPM running on it and an external drive that could be overnighted to HQ and somehow directly imported into the primary DPM server ? How do we skip the long required consistency check process and still have DPM work ? There also appears to be a limit to 20 days for the CRC process and with out WAN speed, we may never be able to complete the required CRC within tht time.

Any suggestions or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

There is no way to avoid the consistency check.

It sounds like you need to rethink your protection topology, think about the restore time once you do get the data synchronized.  I think the better plan would be to place a DPM server on-site that has the slow link speed to the corp office.  You can then TS into the remote DPM server to administer it and perform restores locally. 

If you really need offsite protection, then protect that remote dpm server with the dpm server at the main office (secondary protection) , that way it does not matter that it takes weeks to get consistent because the protected server is having backups done locally by the primary dpm server.  The secondary DPM server would only be used for DR where you can restore data to removable disk and ship it overnight to remote office.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:42 PM
  • but the corporate plan is to centralize everything...
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:53 PM