IE8 no addons RRS feed

• Question

• i am using Win2003 for end users. Every time a new user logs on to the system there is a shortcut created;

All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

we are using a 3rd party URL monitoring software that prevents access to any site that in not in our "whitelist". the user now has the option of bypassing this security feature by running in "No Add-ons" mode.

i need to be able to prevent this shortcut from being created each time a new profile is added.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:51 AM

Answers

• Ok, found it. the stsrt menu has been redirected to a folder on the D:\. The Programs folder is created here. i have added something to the logon script to delete it.

It is still created for each user as they logon, but after the second logon it has gone.

Cheers,

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Go to the "All Users" desktop and delete the icon. It may be in the "Default Users" desktop.

Regards,
    Hank Arnold
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Server - Directory Services
    http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 8/18/2010 5:51 AM, PhilGreen wrote:

i am using Win2003 for end users. Every time a new user logs on to the system there is a shortcut created;

we are using a 3rd party URL monitoring software that prevents access to any site that in not in our "whitelist". the user now has the option of bypassing this security feature by running in "No Add-ons" mode.

i need to be able to prevent this shortcut from being created each time a new profile is added.

Regards, Hank Arnold (MVP - DS)
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Friday, August 27, 2010 12:01 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:18 AM

All replies

• Could you not create a GPO that "hides" the program item from all your users? This should load in start-up regardless of the user being 'new' and logging in for the first time??

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc977919.aspx

Sorry if this isn't helpful. Barry

• Proposed as answer by BWilks Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:00 AM
  • Ok, where does it reside. i have checked the users redirected start menu location, not there. I have, via gpo, disabled the "all users" start menu.

I need to find where the shortcut lives in order to use the log on script to delete it at log on.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:32 PM
  • I see what you're getting at, sorry. The shortcut uses the same program (IE) but the no add-on's uses a switch at the end  "-extoff"

Very much like excel /safe to disable add-ons in that application too.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Ok, found it. the stsrt menu has been redirected to a folder on the D:\. The Programs folder is created here. i have added something to the logon script to delete it.

It is still created for each user as they logon, but after the second logon it has gone.

Cheers,

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Go to the "All Users" desktop and delete the icon. It may be in the "Default Users" desktop.

Regards,
    Hank Arnold
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Server - Directory Services
    http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 8/18/2010 5:51 AM, PhilGreen wrote:

i am using Win2003 for end users. Every time a new user logs on to the system there is a shortcut created;

Regards, Hank Arnold (MVP - DS)
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Friday, August 27, 2010 12:01 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:18 AM