none
Security implications of enabling Remote Registry Access? RRS feed

• Question

• In a large enterprise domain, some management software requires the remote registry service to be running on domain computers for it to work. Remote registry does not start by default in Windows7. I could push out a group policy to make sure remote registry access is started, however I would like to better understand the security implications of enabling remote registry. Are there any best practice guides for securing windows7 pro remote registry service? Are there any security concerns with enabling this in a domain?  The service which will connect to the client machines has a priveleged account.

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:28 PM

Answers

• The only issue I see is that if it's enabled, and a rogue user gets in the way, then somebody could make malicious registry edits, however, this seems very unlikely, as the network is closely monitored since it's in a domain environment.  and as long as the systems on which the service is running are patched on a regular basis, then you're probably good, but the biggest implication is a possible rogue user, I think. 
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:57 AM

All replies

• The only issue I see is that if it's enabled, and a rogue user gets in the way, then somebody could make malicious registry edits, however, this seems very unlikely, as the network is closely monitored since it's in a domain environment.  and as long as the systems on which the service is running are patched on a regular basis, then you're probably good, but the biggest implication is a possible rogue user, I think. 
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:57 AM
  • Wow cron22,  that seems like an incredibly naive answer.  Have you considered a computer in a quasi public lab, for example in a university environment where all students have access to lab computers?

Tim Back

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 7:15 PM