none
out of office settings cannot be displayed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We've reviewed the recent forums and no one in our company can access their out of office settings via their outlook client. It is accessible via the OWA, we have ran the Test Email Auto-Configuration and everything seems to check out find as it sees the correct url's and the xml file through the log tab.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to check whether on our exchange server or on the machines locally?

thanks for any help provided

Friday, March 2, 2012 7:27 PM

All replies

• Any Events Generating regards Autodiscover ?

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you

Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:27 AM
  • through the events viewer on the exchange server? What specifically should I be looking for?

thanks

Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:35 PM
  • This topic is VERY common, and the usual cause is an issue with autodiscover.

Primary causes are simply that either the SSL certificate isn't correct, or the URLs are not set correctly.

Do you have a commercial SSL certificate in place? Does autodiscover work in the Outlook clients?
    If you look in get-clientaccesserver |fl is the value for AutodiscoverServiceInternalURI correct and points to the server, and you have an SSL certificate in place that matches the host name?

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:41 PM
  • when I run the above shell command I get

for the INternalURI https://ourfullservername/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml

our certificate is valid through godaddy, checked by running get-exchangecertificate | fl . Valid through 2016 for services IMAP,POP,SMTP,IIS

has private key: TRUE, Is self signed: FALSE

any other info needed? thanks for any help provided

Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:52 PM
  • also we can access the out of office feature through outlook web access
    Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:57 PM
  • The fact that the certificate is valid doesn't really matter. What matters is whether it contains the name being issued by autodiscover as either the common name or one of the additional names.

Working from OWA doesn't mean anything either, as OWA uses a different system to connect.

Simon.

Sunday, March 4, 2012 10:14 PM
  • where can I check to see if it contains the name being issued by autodiscover?

In the certificate domains? If so, our internal Uri is https://palazzo.palms.meadowlarkco.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml

in the certificate domains contains palazzo.palms.meadowlarkco.com

thanks

• Edited by rrmcguire Monday, March 5, 2012 12:36 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 12:28 AM
  • the name being issued by autodiscover is the common name

mail.domain.com

• Edited by rrmcguire Monday, March 5, 2012 6:14 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Does the common name resolve to the Exchange server?

If you look at the certificate, either by browsing to the server and looking at the properties of the certificate, or using get-exchangecertificate, then you can see the names the certificate has. If you didn't knowingly purchase a UCC certificate then that could be the problem - a DNS and name issue.

Simon.

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:36 PM
  • the certificate was purchase through godaddy. The common name when I log into our godaddy account matches the common name when I run get-exchangecertificate.
    Monday, March 5, 2012 7:40 PM
  • There are two types of certificates used with Exchange.

Standard single name SSL certificates, these are the cheapest kind, only cover a single host name. While those can be used with Exchange 2007/2010, for full functionality you need to make extensive modifications to Exchange.

The other type is UCC certificates, aka subject alternative name, aka multiple domain name certificates (NOT wildcard). These cover a number of different host names and are more expensive. Exchange is designed to use those kinds.

What you see in the GoDaddy control panel is completely immaterial, what you are interested in is what happens on your network.

If you have a single name certificate then the name on the certificate must resolve internally to the Exchange server - ie if you ping host.example.com then it comes back with the internal IP address, not the external or something else.

This sounds to me like the standard misconfiguration of the internal DNS and SSL certificate, which is the most common reason for OOTO to fail.

Simon.

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:44 PM
  • we have the UCC certificate, pinging our host mail.meadowlarkco.com comes back with our internal ip.
    Monday, March 5, 2012 9:18 PM
  • On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 21:18:33 +0000, rrmcguire wrote:

>we have the UCC certificate, pinging our host mail.meadowlarkco.com comes back with our internal ip.

I don't see any problem with the cert.

Have you visited https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ ?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Monday, March 5, 2012 10:37 PM
  • yes, I ran the testexchangeconnectivity from my machine and it came out fine.

except when I ran the exchange web services connetivity test this came up:

Exchange Web Services synchronization, notification, availability, and Automatic Replies (OOF).
      Not all of the tests of Exchange Web Services tasks completed.

Test Steps

ExRCA is attempting to test Autodiscover for rmcguire@meadowlarkco.com.
      Autodiscover was tested successfully.

Test Steps

Attempting each method of contacting the Autodiscover service.
      The Autodiscover service was tested successfully.

Test Steps

Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://meadowlarkco.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
      Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.

Test Steps

Attempting to resolve the host name meadowlarkco.com in DNS.
      The host name resolved successfully.

Additional Details
      IP addresses returned: 205.169.14.3
    Testing TCP port 443 on host meadowlarkco.com to ensure it's listening and open.
      The port was opened successfully.
    Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.
      The SSL certificate failed one or more certificate validation checks.

Test Steps

ExRCA is attempting to obtain the SSL certificate from remote server meadowlarkco.com on port 443.
      ExRCA successfully obtained the remote SSL certificate.

Additional Details
      Remote Certificate Subject: CN=www.meadowlarkco.com, OU=Trucking, O="MEADOW LARK AGENCY, INC.", L=Billings, S=Montana, C=US, Issuer: E=premium-server@thawte.com, CN=Thawte Premium Server CA, OU=Certification Services Division, O=Thawte Consulting cc, L=Cape Town, S=Western Cape, C=ZA.
    Validating the certificate name.
      Certificate name validation failed.
       <label for="testSelectWizard_ctl12_ctl06_ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ctl02_ctl01_tmmArrow">Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it</label>

Additional Details
      Host name meadowlarkco.com doesn't match any name found on the server certificate CN=www.meadowlarkco.com, OU=Trucking, O="MEADOW LARK AGENCY, INC.", L=Billings, S=Montana, C=US.
    Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://autodiscover.meadowlarkco.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
      Testing of the Autodiscover URL was successful.

Test Steps

Attempting to resolve the host name autodiscover.meadowlarkco.com in DNS.
      The host name resolved successfully.

Additional Details
      IP addresses returned: 72.175.208.3
    Testing TCP port 443 on host autodiscover.meadowlarkco.com to ensure it's listening and open.
      The port was opened successfully.
    Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.
      The certificate passed all validation requirements.

Test Steps

ExRCA is attempting to obtain the SSL certificate from remote server autodiscover.meadowlarkco.com on port 443.
      ExRCA successfully obtained the remote SSL certificate.

Additional Details
      Remote Certificate Subject: CN=mail.meadowlarkco.com, OU=Domain Control Validated, O=mail.meadowlarkco.com, Issuer: SERIALNUMBER=07969287, CN=Go Daddy Secure Certification Authority, OU=http://certificates.godaddy.com/repository, O="GoDaddy.com, Inc.", L=Scottsdale, S=Arizona, C=US.
    Validating the certificate name.
      The certificate name was validated successfully.

Additional Details
      Host name autodiscover.meadowlarkco.com was found in the Certificate Subject Alternative Name entry.
    Certificate trust is being validated.
      The certificate is trusted and all certificates are present in the chain.

Test Steps

ExRCA is attempting to build certificate chains for certificate CN=mail.meadowlarkco.com, OU=Domain Control Validated, O=mail.meadowlarkco.com.
      One or more certificate chains were constructed successfully.

Additional Details
      A total of 2 chains were built. The highest quality chain ends in root certificate OU=Go Daddy Class 2 Certification Authority, O="The Go Daddy Group, Inc.", C=US.
    Analyzing the certificate chains for compatibility problems with versions of Windows.
      No Windows compatibility problems were identified.

Additional Details
      The certificate chain has been validated up to a trusted root. Root = E=info@valicert.com, CN=http://www.valicert.com/, OU=ValiCert Class 2 Policy Validation Authority, O="ValiCert, Inc.", L=ValiCert Validation Network.
    Testing the certificate date to confirm the certificate is valid.
      Date validation passed. The certificate hasn't expired.

Additional Details
      The certificate is valid. NotBefore = 5/17/2011 3:04:03 PM, NotAfter = 5/19/2016 11:21:29 AM
    Checking the IIS configuration for client certificate authentication.
      Client certificate authentication wasn't detected.

Additional Details
      Accept/Require Client Certificates isn't configured.
    Attempting to send an Autodiscover POST request to potential Autodiscover URLs.
      ExRCA successfully retrieved Autodiscover settings by sending an Autodiscover POST.

Test Steps

ExRCA is attempting to retrieve an XML Autodiscover response from URL https://autodiscover.meadowlarkco.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml for user rmcguire@meadowlarkco.com.
      The Autodiscover XML response was successfully retrieved.

Additional Details
      Autodiscover Account Settings
    Ensuring that the test mailbox folder is empty and accessible.
      ExRCA couldn't confirm that the folder is accessible and empty.

Additional Details
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:40 PM
  • On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 15:40:51 +0000, rrmcguire wrote:

>yes, I ran the testexchangeconnectivity from my machine and it came out fine.
    >
    >except when I ran the exchange web services connetivity test this came up:
    >
    >Exchange Web Services synchronization, notification, availability, and Automatic Replies (OOF).

[ snip ]

> Ensuring that the test mailbox folder is empty and accessible.
    > ExRCA couldn't confirm that the folder is accessible and empty.
    > Additional Details

That's not at all surprising. Before you enter your credentials, read
    the note at the top of the dialog box:

Note: This test requires the Inbox of the account you're using to be
    empty. This requirement exists because the test creates and deletes
    items from the mailbox. If items exist in the Inbox, there may be a
    problem with the test results.

So create a new user and and an empty mailbox, then use it it run the
    tests.

If they all succeed, can you restate your problem? Is this only a
    problem for people that are INSIDE your LAN? Or is it a problem only
    for people OUTSIDE your LAN? Or is it a problem for both?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:43 PM