none
Create An Internal IP Address RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to create an internal IP address for some security cameras being installed.  I am not sure about how to do this.  I have set up IP's for our printers but not for this sort of thing.  Any suggestions are appreaciated

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:41 AM

Answers

• Your internal network uses a range of addresses that are within the same block.  It sounds like you just need to identify some addresses in that block that are not currently in use.

For example:  If your printers were setup with the IP addresses of 192.168.1.51 through 192.168.1.54, then you would simply need to agree that 192.168.1.55 through 192.168.1.59 are for the cameras.

There's really no such thing as "creating" IP addresses.  All computers recognize a set of addresses that the computer world has agreed upon.  If you plug all of your computers and printers and cameras and other network stuff in to a network switch, and give everything a unique IP address within the same range (192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.254) then they'll all start talking to each other.  Your only task is to ensure that no two machines have the same address.

If you don't know what IP addresses are in use for your network then you might be able to use a network scanner to figure it out.  Nmap is a good scanner but can be complicated to use.  You might try something like the "Free IP Address Tracker" from Solar Winds.  Go to http://www.solarwinds.com/downloads/ and look for the tracker over on the right side within the Top 5 Free Tools box.  If you install that tracker and run it, it will scan every single IP address on your network and then tell you which devices responded to the scan.  Then you will know which addresses are in use and which can be assigned to your cameras.

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, February 28, 2011 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:37 PM
  • HI

Do you have any DHCP server there?

How many cameras u have?

best thing is to have a limited akses to camera subnet (use a diferent subnet from what ur using for users)

i can write u a topology if u tell me the number of users and cameras,

iv made a similar topology in my company.

feel free to ask me

Renato Kurti CCNA,MCP,MCTS,MCITP
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:27 PM

All replies

• Your internal network uses a range of addresses that are within the same block.  It sounds like you just need to identify some addresses in that block that are not currently in use.

For example:  If your printers were setup with the IP addresses of 192.168.1.51 through 192.168.1.54, then you would simply need to agree that 192.168.1.55 through 192.168.1.59 are for the cameras.

There's really no such thing as "creating" IP addresses.  All computers recognize a set of addresses that the computer world has agreed upon.  If you plug all of your computers and printers and cameras and other network stuff in to a network switch, and give everything a unique IP address within the same range (192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.254) then they'll all start talking to each other.  Your only task is to ensure that no two machines have the same address.

If you don't know what IP addresses are in use for your network then you might be able to use a network scanner to figure it out.  Nmap is a good scanner but can be complicated to use.  You might try something like the "Free IP Address Tracker" from Solar Winds.  Go to http://www.solarwinds.com/downloads/ and look for the tracker over on the right side within the Top 5 Free Tools box.  If you install that tracker and run it, it will scan every single IP address on your network and then tell you which devices responded to the scan.  Then you will know which addresses are in use and which can be assigned to your cameras.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:37 PM
  • HI

Do you have any DHCP server there?

How many cameras u have?

best thing is to have a limited akses to camera subnet (use a diferent subnet from what ur using for users)

i can write u a topology if u tell me the number of users and cameras,

iv made a similar topology in my company.

feel free to ask me

Renato Kurti CCNA,MCP,MCTS,MCITP
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:27 PM