none
I have a MPP file that is probably corrupt - any experts willing to help with the challenge to solve? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MPP file, totally created in Project 2010, either hangs or causes Project 2010 to crash. Seems that there's some corruption in it. Have tried downloading the (few) solutions out there, without success. Not many good solutions it seems. Anyone have a clue to how resolve? This 7MB file is pretty significant, and rekeying it really isn't an option.
    project file?
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:25 PM

Answers

• Project Fix Toolbox repairs corrupted Project files (.mpp).

Supported Project versions: 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000

The recovered data is saved into an XML file (and an MPP file for Project 2000) ready for import.

Standard features:

> Supports file of al modern versions, including 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000
    > Recovers projects
    > Recovers tasks, task relationships
    > Recovers resources
    > Recovers relationships between resources and tasks
    > Saves recovered data as an XML script (and MPP file for Project 2000)
    > Full install/uninstall support

Demo version can be downloaded for free at:- http://www.project.fixtoolbox.com/

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

How many task do you have in your file? 7MB seems a big file size. Try to save as (if you can) the file under another name, it could reduce the size.

Are you at least able to open it in MS Project before it crashes? In case you are, try the XML export as per this article.

There is also a tool called Project-Recovery-Toolbox that I've never tried but it seems to worked quite well.

Finally, you could send me your file at guillaumeDOTrouyreATgcosiDOTcom (replace caps) so I could try on my side.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

1. Try installing the latest updates to Project 2010 and check the behavior.

2. Try inserting this project into subproject of a new project and then remove the link to sub project and check the behavior.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:14 PM
  • Project Fix Toolbox repairs corrupted Project files (.mpp).

Supported Project versions: 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000

The recovered data is saved into an XML file (and an MPP file for Project 2000) ready for import.

Standard features:

> Supports file of al modern versions, including 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000
    > Recovers projects
    > Recovers tasks, task relationships
    > Recovers resources
    > Recovers relationships between resources and tasks
    > Saves recovered data as an XML script (and MPP file for Project 2000)
    > Full install/uninstall support

Demo version can be downloaded for free at:- http://www.project.fixtoolbox.com/

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 6:49 PM
  • Before you try to open the project, turn off automatic calculation in the Project client. This may allow you to open the file. Sounds like you may have a circular relationship in this project.

You posted this in a Project Server group, but you do not mention Project Server in your post, is this file saved to Project Server? If so, I can give you another trick to try.

P.S. XML is not very good in 2007, and although it is improved over the years, it is still subject to some data loss depending upon your project complexity.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:48 PM