App-V Package Version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

RE: Naming conventions and versioning.

Previously, with .MSI (Windows Installer), I would use something along these lines:

[Vendor] [App Name] [Vendor Version] [Internal Version]

e.g.

Adobe Reader 10.1.0 Release 01

The idea behind this being if the package needed to be updated to change a small setting, but the vendor version was the same a Release 02 version could be created which would give version control and allow the new version to be deployed without confusion.

As we all know, App-V has a built in feature which replaces the need to include any sort of manual internal versioning, by increasing the package version at the time of saving the sequence.  This is great, but it's also annoying.  When releasing the first version of a package it should be version 1.  I find it frustrating if there is something you need to tweak in the first release of a package and it goes to version 2.  With Wise package studio I could save the .MSI as much as I'd like and still release it as version 01.  Probably a bad example (as I wouldn't do this), but if say you did a typo on a server name during the installation and you know the registry key that it writes, so you edit the App-V package, correct the value and hit save.  This increases the package version to 2, but you still want it to be 1 because it's the first release.

So, my question is:

Should you re-sequence cleanly through to get the package to be released as version 1? (This is annoying if the manual install was really fiddly)

or

Are people generally not bothered whether the first release is version 1, 2 or 3 etc?

or

Is there a way to reset the package version?

or

Is there a way to only increment the package version when you want it to?

Thanks

• Edited by plumblbw Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 8:53 AM

Answers

• I hear ya.  I think we're all the same boat, though some of us (like me) just tread along and hope that these sorts of semi-superficial issues will eventually be looked at by the people that get paid to do it.  In the meantime, I've gone through different stages about the way I treat the packaging process.  I used to be a perfectionist and try to make sure that version 1 = first release.  However, I haven't really seen any benefit in being that strict, so now I just tend to go with the flow and let the version number increase as needed.

To answer your question: "Is there a way to reset the package version?" --- I think you can simply delete the old package from the manager and re-add it, which should reset the counter.  Of course, to do this you have to delete the applications associated with it, so this would generally only be a feasible option when you're trying to set up for your initial release of the app.

• Edited by S_Sanchez Friday, June 8, 2012 8:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by plumblbw Monday, June 11, 2012 8:08 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 8:45 PM

All replies

• You could disable the option to append the package version and then go back to your preferred naming convention.

Take a look in APP-V Sequencer.  Under Tools-->Options-->Append Package Version to Filename

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hi Rorymon,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was aware of this option.  Although from a filename perspective this looks more asthetically pleasing it still shows as the next version within the sequencer and also within the App-V Management Server.

This is not a big issue, I was just curious and wanted to follow the correct methods.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:13 PM
  • I hear ya.  I think we're all the same boat, though some of us (like me) just tread along and hope that these sorts of semi-superficial issues will eventually be looked at by the people that get paid to do it.  In the meantime, I've gone through different stages about the way I treat the packaging process.  I used to be a perfectionist and try to make sure that version 1 = first release.  However, I haven't really seen any benefit in being that strict, so now I just tend to go with the flow and let the version number increase as needed.

To answer your question: "Is there a way to reset the package version?" --- I think you can simply delete the old package from the manager and re-add it, which should reset the counter.  Of course, to do this you have to delete the applications associated with it, so this would generally only be a feasible option when you're trying to set up for your initial release of the app.

• Edited by S_Sanchez Friday, June 8, 2012 8:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by plumblbw Monday, June 11, 2012 8:08 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Thanks for your reply mate.

That's great, that's put my mind at rest a little.  It's this sort of information that isn't available in any of the books / white papers / online resources etc, so I really appreciate your input.

Thanks again.

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:08 AM