userdata directory - multiple softgrid client dirs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am currently implementing app-v 4.5 client and VAS in our university.  We have numerous open access desktops and user profiles are routinely deleted overnight to avoid disk space problems.  The registry value for the client  userdata directory is set to a user defined network share eg. H:\userspace\.   This works well but I've noticed that on user login after their local profile has been deleted two things happen.  One,  the softgrid client including icon cache folders are recreated under the username/application data folder (even though this should have been redirected to the network share).  And two, a new softgrid client (and icon cache) is also recreated within the H:\userspace\softgrid client  folder.  This will potentially lead to multiples of nested softgrid client folders under the network share and even one multiple creates havoc with the icon cache locations as most of the icons fail come down to the desktop.   I found a post about this in the softgrid guru forums from last year but no fix was mentioned.  I'd be grateful for any help in trying to fix this as its a bit of a deal breaker for our implementation.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hello

I am currently implementing app-v 4.5 client and VAS in our university.  We have numerous open access desktops and user profiles are routinely deleted overnight to avoid disk space problems.  The registry value for the client  userdata directory is set to a user defined network share eg. H:\userspace\.   This works well but I've noticed that on user login after their local profile has been deleted two things happen.  One,  the softgrid client including icon cache folders are recreated under the username/application data folder (even though this should have been redirected to the network share).  And two, a new softgrid client (and icon cache) is also recreated within the H:\userspace\softgrid client  folder.  This will potentially lead to multiples of nested softgrid client folders under the network share and even one multiple creates havoc with the icon cache locations as most of the icons fail come down to the desktop.   I found a post about this in the softgrid guru forums from last year but no fix was mentioned.  I'd be grateful for any help in trying to fix this as its a bit of a deal breaker for our implementation.

I exactly had the same error on Windows Server 2003 TS (2008 TS went fine), it drived me crazy. The only workaround that worked for me was the use of the ^ in the variabele name. So with me the UserCacheFolder is set to: ^%Variable^%

This works now for every W2K3 TS...
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Not really sure about your profile setup, but I have used the following in a TS-environment;
    1. Delete local profiles at logoff
    2. Exclude the \icon cache from roaming
    3. Maintaining the default path for user-settings

This usually keeps the profile-size at a minimum.
    I usually try to avoid redirecting anything from %APPDATA% to some other place.

/Znack
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Hi Znack,

Thanks for your thoughts, but I don't think this is exactly what we're facing..  Some more info as follows:

• Have changed the userdata location from H:\userdata\ to %HOMESHARE%\userdata to avoid the drive mapping being the issue.
    • The nesting only appears to happen after the deletion of the users' local profile.
    • The userinfo.dat file only ever appears in the lowest level of the nested folders
    • Client log shows the following:

[09/07/2009 10:44:33:026 SRVC VRB] {tid=90C:usr=Administrator}
    SWUserState::InitializeUser(dataDir=h:\userdata\SoftGrid Client)
    [09/07/2009 10:44:33:995 INTF VRB] {tid=90C:usr=Administrator}
    Couldn't open sid file for writing
    file: h:\userdata\SoftGrid Client\userinfo.dat
    [09/07/2009 10:45:42:355 SRVC VRB] {tid=90C:usr=appvtest}
    SWUserState::InitializeUser(dataDir=\\STAFF1\A_USERS\APPVTEST\userdata\SoftGrid Client)
    [09/07/2009 10:45:42:402 SRVC VRB] {tid=90C:usr=appvtest}
    SWUserState::Initialize()
    [09/07/2009 10:45:42:433 INTF VRB] {tid=90C:usr=appvtest}
    SWInitForUser(userid=24)
    [09/07/2009 10:45:42:464 INTF VRB] {tid=90C:usr=appvtest}
    Checking to see if the user's data directory is his
    [09/07/2009 10:45:42:495 INTF VRB] {tid=90C:usr=appvtest}
    Verified that SID in data directory matches expected value
    [09/07/2009 10:45:42:527 INTF VRB] {tid=90C:usr=appvtest}
    Data directory may have moved, attempting to migrate files.
    Current: \\STAFF1\A_USERS\APPVTEST\userdata\SoftGrid Client
    Previous: H:\userdata\SoftGrid Client
    [09/07/2009 10:45:48:245 INTF VRB] {tid=90C:usr=appvtest}
    Couldn't migrate data directory from 'H:\userdata\SoftGrid Client' to '\\STAFF1\A_USERS\APPVTEST\userdata\SoftGrid Client', error 145
    Which suggests some sort of issue with the userinfo, but can't quite get to the bottom of it at the moment!

Thanks
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Hello

I exactly had the same error on Windows Server 2003 TS (2008 TS went fine), it drived me crazy. The only workaround that worked for me was the use of the ^ in the variabele name. So with me the UserCacheFolder is set to: ^%Variable^%

This works now for every W2K3 TS...
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Hello and thank you for your comments.

I am seeing the same issue with our SoftGrid version 4.1.3.16 implementation on Windows 2003 R2.

It is not affecting many user's in the big picture... 1-2% maybe... and does not seem to occur every time a user runs a virtualized application. I am not sure what triggers this behavior but it is annoying and continues to nest the "SoftGrid Client" folder and contents in itself until the path length is unsupportable and by doing so consumes extra storage space for their virtualized application data.

We are running the SoftGrid TS client 4.1.3.15 on our Citrix/TS servers with roaming profiles and folder redirection for specific user data folders to their HOME directories (i.e Application Data, Favorites, My Documents).

The path we have chosen for the SoftGrid User Data Directory "\\...Roaming Profile Share...\%USERNAME%\Application Data\". We have chosen to store it here because it is unique to each user, It is not used for anything else (this path is not the redirected Application Data directory used in our folder redirections on the user's HOME directory) and have excluded this path and folder from the roaming profile synch at logon/logoff. So, in essence the only thing maintaining and accessing this folder structure is the TS SoftGrid Clients.

I am not sure what the ^ is used for in the syntax you gave or how it works... can you explain more on this work-around and where you found it?

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Hello and thank you for your comments.

I am seeing the same issue with our SoftGrid version 4.1.3.16 implementation on Windows 2003 R2.

It is not affecting many user's in the big picture... 1-2% maybe... and does not seem to occur every time a user runs a virtualized application. I am not sure what triggers this behavior but it is annoying and continues to nest the "SoftGrid Client" folder and contents in itself until the path length is unsupportable and by doing so consumes extra storage space for their virtualized application data.

We are running the SoftGrid TS client 4.1.3.15 on our Citrix/TS servers with roaming profiles and folder redirection for specific user data folders to their HOME directories (i.e Application Data, Favorites, My Documents).

The path we have chosen for the SoftGrid User Data Directory "\\...Roaming Profile Share...\%USERNAME%\Application Data\". We have chosen to store it here because it is unique to each user, It is not used for anything else (this path is not the redirected Application Data directory used in our folder redirections on the user's HOME directory) and have excluded this path and folder from the roaming profile synch at logon/logoff. So, in essence the only thing maintaining and accessing this folder structure is the TS SoftGrid Clients.

I am not sure what the ^ is used for in the syntax you gave or how it works... can you explain more on this work-around and where you found it?

Hi,
    I have done some installations in the past few months, and with all these installations we had the same issue, also on W2K8. Also some other guys on the field have encountered this issue. Basicly I don't know where the problem is coming from, but for our setup, we have created a new environment variable and transferred the User cache to this new folder location, because we didn't want to roam the App-V user cache using the %appdata% variable. We created a mapping e.g. z:\ for the user and we used the user GPO to create the mapping. The GPO creates the mapping in a early stage, before App-V kickes in, otherwise we saw some errors that the there are some problems with user profile of App-V..

The idea of this answer came from some whitepapers which explains the use of the msiexec command line to install App-V. I can't find it that fast now, but here you can see another discussion about it: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/appvbeta/thread/6c044c68-bc1a-425e-a08c-f6dffaaffc03

This command was showing ^%variable^% for the configuration of the User cache, so I decided to use it. I don't find it very pretty, but it is doing it's job correctly on different TS farms that are running in production now for several months... I saw this issue with every version of app-v 4.5, but I never had this issue with earlier versions of it..

Before this solution, we saw that the softgrid client folder appears for more then 20 times on a user folder. It is not only a storage issue, but we we're affraid that the maximum amount of characters could really create an issue and eventually would prevent that new folders could be created and it would create an issue for the stability of the system...

If you know a paticular hotfix, you are more then welcome to share the knowledge :)

Thanks... :)
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:44 PM
  • Got the same issue and solved it.

Could you try to configure the map of your appdata drive directly in the Active Directory (in the profile tab, option Home Folder)

For me, it works fine

Good luck

David
    Friday, January 8, 2010 10:55 AM