DPM 2012r2 fails when doing BMR backup. RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have a 2008R2 server running System Center 2012 R2 DPM.  We are trying to use this to take a BMR image of a server that is 2012R2.  The protected server is not in production yet and is why were using it for testing DPM.  When we try and capture a BMR image it passes the system state but fails on the C: and BMR.  I have tried several of the work around out there but nothing seems to work.  I can take a System state back up fine and just a back up of the C: but when doing BMR it fails.  On the protected server I can at a command prompt run the command to take BMR and deposit it onto my computer with no problems but when trying with DPM it errors out with the following error:

Protection status:

Replica inconsistent

Protected server:

Windows Backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder.  Please retry the operation after making sure that the remote shared folder is available and accessible.  Detailed error: The specified network name is no longer available.

DPM server:

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 517, WSB Error Code:  0x1456C00). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990ED0)

I mapped the drive location on the protected server and started the backup from an elevated command prompt. System state shows complete but backing up volume C: gets to 99% then fails stating that network name is no longer available but I can still get to the drive from mapped location.

I have also disabled WINRE and this still fails but if I tell it to backup system state or C:\ individually they work but fail when doing BMR.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 1:28 PM

All replies

• I was able to figure this out by increasing the VSS timeout found in this article here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c7f7807b-85c8-4047-89dc-c1ef69ba7cd4.aspx
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

We need to remember that whenever taking a system state and BMR of a server, the following is done:

1) System State backup is always first staged on the protected server and then copied into the replica volume.

2) BMR backup is never staged on the protected server, instead it is streamed to the replica volume. 

Please try the following steps:

1) Disable the following on the protected server and on the DPM server:

netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled

netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh int tcp set global netdma=disabled

2) Ensure that the BMR and System State replica volume is big enough on the DPM server.

3) Increase the VSS Timeout by following the article mentioned below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c7f7807b-85c8-4047-89dc-c1ef69ba7cd4.aspx

Regards,

Anuj

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All. Regards, AJ (MSFT)

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:19 AM