Icon on thumbnail only works with videos RRS feed

• Question

• As a graphic artist I like to have my images and Adobe files set to thumbnail preview so I can visually locate the files I need. However, I will frequently have an Illustrator, Photoshop and PNG file that are identical in their thumbnail so being able to have an icon displayed on the thumbnail would be helpful in quickly identifying the format of each file.

I do have the "display file icon on thumbnails" turned on, but I only see this functioning properly for video files. When looking at image files, I also get the thumbnails but not the icons. If I turn off I get the icons for the images.

Something that has caught my attention is that the icon on the thumbnail for the videos is not the same icon you get when viewing the video with icons only. The icon on the videos is for WMP while the actual icon for the video files is C:\Windows\system32\wmploc.dll,-730 which is the white piece of paper with the text FLV at the bottom.

My guess is that this has something to do with the icon on the thumbnail being controlled differently than the actual icon for the file, but if anyone could enlighten me as to how to get thumbnails for images to show a custom icon I would appreciate it.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I've already gone through the process of clearing my thumbnail cache.

Friday, September 6, 2013 3:13 AM

Answers

• Asking another IT person I know, they found this article, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc144118%28v=vs.85%29.aspx, that addresses how to accomplish showing a specific icon over a thumbnail.

So after setting up the TypeOverlay string in the registry for a .gif file, I exported the selected branch, cleared out everything but the branch path and the TypeOverlay entry, modified the extension and file name, and saved the registry entry as another file type.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.gif]
    "TypeOverlay"="F:\\SkyDrive\\networked files\\icons\\image formats\\gif.ico"

Now I have my custom icons for file types on my images.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:48 PM

All replies

• Thumbnails are displayed only for the file types which have native support in Windows, like MP3, WMA, etc. File types such as PNG, GIF are supported with the first frame, if multiple frames are present. PSD or Photoshop files and FLV files doesn't have native support. Such files have icon/thumbnails based on the file type handler (the application(s) that supports the file formats) installed in the PC.

The icons also differ with version and software. For example, FLV file has different icons:

The following are icons displayed by Flash Player:

The icon displayed by QuickTime player:

The icon displayed by VLC media player:

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, September 9, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

From you description, you want to get the icon for images on the thumbnails, I searched and tried a lot about this issue, but failed, thus  I think this should be designed by default.

Regarding  to wrong icon displayed on the thumbnail you mentioned in the post, I think it is normal phenomenon.

Windows has native support for thumbnailing several formats. For example MPEG and WMV. Those formats may therefore be unchecked by default.

We have many videos with us and in many formats. The most popular video formats are .avi, .wmv, .mpg but there are also many others like .flv, .mp4 and .vob

While you can play avi wmp and other formats directly, but you need certain codecs to run flv and other video formats. The major problem linked with these video files is that while we can see the preview of a movie in avi extension in explorer, we are unable to see the thumbnail preview of these extensions .flv, .3gp etc.

More information, you  may refer to the following articles:

Thumbnails

http://www.codecguide.com/faq_thumbnails.htm

View .flv, .3gp and Other Video Thumbnails in Explorer

http://techsalsa.com/view-flv-3gp-and-other-video-thumbnails-in-explorer/

NOTE This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Regards,

Yolanda

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:47 AM
  • Asking another IT person I know, they found this article, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc144118%28v=vs.85%29.aspx, that addresses how to accomplish showing a specific icon over a thumbnail.

So after setting up the TypeOverlay string in the registry for a .gif file, I exported the selected branch, cleared out everything but the branch path and the TypeOverlay entry, modified the extension and file name, and saved the registry entry as another file type.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.gif]
    "TypeOverlay"="F:\\SkyDrive\\networked files\\icons\\image formats\\gif.ico"

Now I have my custom icons for file types on my images.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:48 PM