Internet site : with or without subsites? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'm trying to implement an internet site and I have troubles undestanding the usage of subsites since:
    a) security is per per list and per page and NOT by a category ( I mean top menu items)
    b) I need to show views of lists in pages lying in different categories
    c) I want to use sharepoint designer and XSLT to show the data - CQWP is an option yet ....
    d) If I have 8 categories in the top menu and each of this can go 4 levels deep, i need a LARGE number of sub-sub-sub-subsites!!
    e) Changing categories and moving pages is a nightmare.

I'm investigating the possibility of using folders inside the <Pages> document Library when I came across the problem if not having the default page per section (for ex. http://mysite/Pages/category1/subcategory2) , but I'm trying to find a solution.

I wonder how did others  solve this problem ?

Christos K

Christos
    • Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:24 AM Type changed to question.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Christos,

If you create each category as sub-site

a) You can still have unique permission settings on each list in sub-site
    b) There is no problem for you to view of list of pages in different categories/sub-sites
    c) You can use DataFromWebPart/DataView web part to achive that and it gives you more advance control ( you can even do cross-subsites query to display items from different sites)
    d) Number of sub sites we are talking about here still too small to worry about perfomance of SharePoint (SharePoint was built for scale 100x larger than this)
    e) Changing categories and moving pages can be easily done from UI. You can copy/move sub-sites/pages from UI from Site Settings.

Sub-site is your best choice for all the things you want.

regards,
    James
    James Tsai | MCPD | SharePoint Consultant
    My SharePoint Blog www.jamestsai.net/blog
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Christos,

b) There is no problem for you to view of list of pages in different categories/sub-sites
    c) You can use DataFromWebPart/DataView web part to achive that and it gives you more advance control ( you can even do cross-subsites query to display items from different sites)
    d) Number of sub sites we are talking about here still too small to worry about perfomance of SharePoint (SharePoint was built for scale 100x larger than this)
    e) Changing categories and moving pages can be easily done from UI. You can copy/move sub-sites/pages from UI from Site Settings.

regards,
    James
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:33 PM
  • James. Tsai said:

Hi Christos,

-->Yes- but why do you need that in an internet site? The categories are not based on your hierarchy in an organization.
    You need permissions in list, and pages, not in sites. For ex. annoucements and press releases are issued but any department, yet you have to show them all in one category and in different pages in other categories.

-->Yes, but you have to start adding links, perrmission, views and everything, with no apparent reason!
    -->yes, but you have the problem FINDING the information! Where is it? How can you say that this infomation should be primary here and not there? And if you put ALL the information on the Upper site, why having subsites after all???
    d) Number of sub sites we are talking about here still too small to worry about perfomance of SharePoint (SharePoint was built for scale 100x larger than this) -
    -->And all the cqwp , will they be able to find the changed list, which was in subsite /main/a/a1 and now went to /main/b/b1/a1???

regards,
    James

James, thanks for yr answer
    I preferred answer it inside yr quote.
    Either i'm missing something or everything (about the philosophy of sharepoint) !!!
    I work at a large organization and nor our local MS or the consulting Company have found convincing (at least for us) arguments towards sites in an internet site. So we are implementing them through Folders in /Pages.

Christos
    Monday, October 13, 2008 7:05 AM