none
Show resource over-allocation in task level custom field in project server 2016. RRS feed

• Question

• There is an indicator field in ms project 2013 which shows the resource over-allocation in ms project in the form of red man indicator.  So is there any way to pull the value of that indicator field in any task level custom field in form of flag. I mean that if in any task if resource is over-allocated then for that task the new custom field will show the value as yes otherwise no. 
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:37 PM

All replies

• Ashish --

There is a built-in Task field named Overallocated, but it will not work the way you ask.  When you have a resource overallocation that is caused by assigning a resource to work full-time on multiple parallel tasks, the Overallocated field will display a No value for the tasks with the overallocated resource, even though you can see the red stick figure in the Indicators column.  The only overallocation that will cause the Overallocated field to display a Yes value is when you accidentally or intentionally assign a resource to a task with a Units value that is greater than the resource's Max. Units value.  For example, you assign a resource at a Units value of 150% on a single task when the resource's Max. Units value is 100%.

So, I believe the answer to your question is no, it is not possible to create a custom task field that will display a yes value if the task is assigned to an overallocated resource.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:29 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for reply. But i am not looking for any custom task field.Actually in Ms project you can see the resource over allocation in indicator column in form of red man for the project. But when i open the same project through the Project Web App (PWA) from Project Center. Then that red man is not visible in the Project in indicator column. So is this any bug or Project Server 2016 don't have any feature like this.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:43 PM
  • Ashish --

No, the burning man indicator is NOT displayed in detailed Project views in PWA.  It is displayed in the Microsoft Project schedule, but not in PWA.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, August 20, 2018 4:13 PM