none
Change Permissions on Multiple Folders RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of a way to change the permissions on multiple folders? I am able to change them if I select each folder individually, but changing permissions on multiple folders doesn't seem to work. I have also noticed this with Server 2008 as well.

I am logged in as the local admin on this machine, so I don't know if that's the issue. I don't really have any other ideas though...any thoughts?
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:26 PM

Answers

• By default we have limited permissions for some system folders, such as Windows, Program Files, ProgramData, System Volume Information, etc. We could not change the permissions for some system components. Please let us know which folders you would like to modify.

If you would like to change permissions for certain folders, you may use CACLS commands and use a batch file to execute the commands.

Windows Client TechCenter - CACLS  

To change the read/write attribute, please try "attrib" commands.

Windows Client TechCenter - attrib

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

In Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC, we are not able to change permissions for multiple folders by select all and choose Properties->Security.

If you would like to change permissions, please try command lines. It is a simpler way to realize.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:18 AM

All replies

• Wow, I've got this same issue!  We are in a domain environment and as an admin there are a number of instances where we need to highlight a number of folders or files and change the permissions on all of them.  We have always been able to do this with Windows XP and Server 2003. 

Not having this feature in Server 2008 and Windows 7 is a huge time waster for our organization!

Thanks.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Hi guys. I have the same problem. I have folder, for example "Exchange", and a lot of subfolders named as Users, about 300 folders. All I need, to have only READ permissions for Exchange folder, without any Changing and deleting folders and files in Exchange.  And Read/Write/Delete permissions for subfolders of Exchange(in Users folders). How can i do that stupid thing ????
    I have Windows Server 2008 STD with SP2 installed.

With Best regards, Michael
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:04 PM
  • By default we have limited permissions for some system folders, such as Windows, Program Files, ProgramData, System Volume Information, etc. We could not change the permissions for some system components. Please let us know which folders you would like to modify.

If you would like to change permissions for certain folders, you may use CACLS commands and use a batch file to execute the commands.

Windows Client TechCenter - CACLS  

To change the read/write attribute, please try "attrib" commands.

Windows Client TechCenter - attrib

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:27 AM
  • These could be folders on the network or folders on the local machine. Nothing like the Windows directory. I am logged in as the Domain Admin when I am trying to change the permissions on these folders, and I know I have access to change all of the folder permissions. I can do them all individually, but I can't change them all at once.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Arthur,

Thanks for the response.  In my case we are trying to modify the permissions for multiple folders on a data drive - they are not system files.

I'm aware that we can use CACLS, but that's no where near as convienient as modifying permissions on multiple files was in Windows XP.  Did you guys actually remove the fuctionality that was in Windows XP and Server 2003?

-Hoping there is just some way to turn it back on the way it was in XP/2003.

-Justin
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

In Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC, we are not able to change permissions for multiple folders by select all and choose Properties->Security.

If you would like to change permissions, please try command lines. It is a simpler way to realize.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:18 AM
  • Hmmm....that's very disappointing. Why was that feature dropped when it has been in Windows for so long? Is the only alternative using the command line?
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Hi Arthur, thank you for reply. CACLS utility it's that i need. I have forders on my File Server, so it's not any system ones. I'm very dissapointed to not to see such functionality in GUI.

Hace a nice day, Michael
    Friday, July 24, 2009 7:33 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

Is there a reason why this feature is removed from the new versions?

I find it unlogical to remove such a simple function. I was forced to install and configure a new server because of a breakdown and chose server 2008 instead of 2003, I had to sit for hours trying to figure out how to change the permissions! cacls, icacls xcalcs... jesus christ which one is the right one to use! I have to admit that xcacls is easy to use after you learn it, but for those who have never tried it, or are trying to install a new server maybe even a rookie then this is defently not intuitive!
    Friday, August 7, 2009 12:02 PM
  • As a techie, but just sorting out a home HD issue, I'm also suprised and disappointed that this functionality has been removed. I'd be very interested to hear why I'm unable to change the permissions of multiple folders in one go...
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:15 PM
  • I can't even change permissions on a single folder. e.g. Programs (x86).

I'm the administrator and need to install programs on my computer.

This was not neccessary for microsoft to do. How can I work around this?

Thanks

Monday, March 4, 2013 9:28 PM
  • I was quite surprised to see this limitation after years of using Windows 2003 Server and, previously, Window 2000 Advanced Server and 'upgrading' (really, downgrading) to IIS 7 in Windows 7.  Another website showed me a work-around.  Use a Windows XP, 2003, or equally old-timey OS, access a share to your server.  You can make a shared folder on your server only accessible on your LAN with a same user name and password on both systems and, if necessary, delete it later.  In this way, you can highlight multiple folders and change permissions on them simultaneously.  Hope it works for you.

Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:14 AM
  • Does anyone know of a way to change the permissions on multiple folders? I am able to change them if I select each folder individually, but changing permissions on multiple folders doesn't seem to work. I have also noticed this with Server 2008 as well.

I am logged in as the local admin on this machine, so I don't know if that's the issue. I don't really have any other ideas though...any thoughts?
    I have the very same issue and it causes me huge annoyance that such a simple thing to do has become such a nightmare! I need to set permissions for approx 800 sub folders differently from the parent. They are all in a wide range of folders and I used to simply search the drive for all folders of the same name, select all, right click for the properties, select the securities tab and remove inherited permissions and set the level of access to the people who needed it for those confidential folders. I really need to be able to do this at least twice a year due to changing staff/job roles. I don't understand 'cacls' and don't have time to mess around trying to find ways of doing something which used to be so simple before 'improvements' which clearly from this blog, are not improvements!
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:02 AM
  • Canned response. Hate it.
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 2:40 AM