Vista Advanced Search RRS feed

• Question

• One of the most frustrating things about Vista is that, despite the fact that “search” is integrated into every aspect of the OS, you cannot get at search options. You can search, but you have a heckofa time getting it to let you search what you WANT to. I can’t get at Advanced Search options unless it’s failed to find what I was looking for. So if I want to look for all documents in my My Docs folder that are older than five years ago, too bad, so sad. There should be an option that says “show advanced search always”.

Oh, and please. A pulldown for date so that you have to click the back arrow 12 times for every year you want to go back? It is assumed that the user is too stupid to enter a date?

Additionally you can't search in the contents unless I universally set a setting to make it ALWAYS search in contents (Yes I understand the difference between indexed and non-indexed locations. That changes nothing about what I need to search for)

It’s hateful.

• Edited by gb6603 Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:29 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

We do appreciate that you report this issue to us. Actually, Microsoft has released a KB related to the issue on searching files. I would like to share it with you.

You cannot find files when you search a Windows Vista-based computer even though the files exist on the computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932989 

Meanwhile, Microsoft welcomes customers to share their opinions on products. We are always striving to capture any feedback from our partners and customers so as to ensure that we are continuously developing products that meet our customer needs. Suggestions like yours are always appreciated and taken seriously.

If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know and we are happy to be of further assistance. Moreover, you can submit your ideas in Microsoft Feedback & Idea Center.

Microsoft Feedback & Idea Center

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/outreach/ideas/ideas.mspx

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

We do appreciate that you report this issue to us. Actually, Microsoft has released a KB related to the issue on searching files. I would like to share it with you.

You cannot find files when you search a Windows Vista-based computer even though the files exist on the computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932989 

Meanwhile, Microsoft welcomes customers to share their opinions on products. We are always striving to capture any feedback from our partners and customers so as to ensure that we are continuously developing products that meet our customer needs. Suggestions like yours are always appreciated and taken seriously.

If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know and we are happy to be of further assistance. Moreover, you can submit your ideas in Microsoft Feedback & Idea Center.

Microsoft Feedback & Idea Center

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/outreach/ideas/ideas.mspx

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:31 AM
  • I couldn't agree with you more.  When looking for the same answer, I stumbled into a solution almost as good as Microsoft addressing it directly with options.  With the explorer window open, hit f3 and you have the advanced search.  Also the direct entry of qualifiers on the search is more flexible than you might think.  I was able to get all excel files before a particular date on the first totally guessing try.  [xls modified: <=date] in the search box without the brackets worked first try.  With this I'm less upset but agree almost completely with your whole message!
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:59 PM