Only Vista Basic UI? RRS feed

• Question

• The only problem with my integrated video is that it doesn't support a WDDM driver...does this mean I can't use AERO at all? The only option I have is Windows Vista Basic, no Aero at all. I tried the CTRL-SHIFT-F9 hotkey and nothing happened. I have a genuine copy of Vista Ultimate Beta 2, and I'm confused.

I originally thought that the WDDM driver was only going to be used to implement the "glassness" of the UI, because I have pixel shader support and all the other requirements.

Thanks!
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:38 PM

Answers

• Intel Most likley will have to release a WDDM driver that will support your motherboards intergrated video driver for vista, intel may take awhile to release these as alot of their effort right now is in getting conroe released
    Friday, June 16, 2006 9:51 PM

All replies

• Can you give me a little more information about your video hardware and driver? If your video card uses shared memory, it is possible that the current driver for it does not support the shared memory that was available under Windows XP. If there is less than 128MB of video memory available to Vista, it will not give you an option to run the Aero interface.

One quick way to find out how much video RAM Vista thinks your computer has is to go to Control Panel, Select Classic View, and double-click Performance Rating and Tools. Your System Performance Rating details will include available video memory.

Friday, June 16, 2006 12:04 AM
  • The information I found for graphics indicates I am running the Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS 910 GML Express Chipset Family. I have 128 MB Video Memory (from device manager). No information is given anywhere about how much video memory I have. I used the Vista Upgrade Advisor, and it shows that Aero is fully supported.

Should I reinstall Vista and wipe my HD clean? Maybe with a different product key and a new installation, things will work, but it's a lot of trouble to back up everything on my computer.

[EDIT]
    Before I installed Vista, it said it met all requirements but the WDDM driver, now the Upgrade advisor shows full support....odd.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 3:46 AM
  • I actually have the same problem as you do, same graphics adapter. I wonder what went wrong or what have we been missing...
    Friday, June 16, 2006 1:46 PM
  • i thought that the 945m chipset was the last to support AERO, i have the 915gm on another machine also and it will not run aero either, i suspect that the upgrade advisor still has some bugs in it
    Friday, June 16, 2006 2:06 PM
  • Reinstalling with a new product key wouldn't make a difference, as all Beta 2 product keys are "Windows Vista Ultimate" and include all the features of the OS.

Please use the Windows Beta Client (see the sticky post in the Applications forum if you don't see the blue question mark "Feedback" icon on your desktop) to file a bug. This will collect the system information we need to try and diagnose the problem. For what it's worth, I do think it's a bug in the Upgrade Advisor, but I'm not the engineer who would make that determination.

From the "Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready footnotes" (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capablefootnotes.mspx) :

• Windows Aero requires:
    • DirectX 9 class graphics processor that:
      • Supports a WDDM Driver.
      • Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.
      • Supports 32 bits per pixel.
    • Adequate graphics memory.
      • 64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels
      • 128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels
      • 256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels
      • Meets graphics memory bandwidth requirements, as assessed by Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor running on Windows XP
  • Thus, I believe the issue is the lack of a WDDM driver.

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:28 PM
  • Well yeah I believe that exactly is the problem. My system meets all those on the list except for the WDDM driver which I confirmed when I ran the Advisor. Is there any solution on this? Perhaps an update from Intel?

PS

I already sent a bug report to Microsoft about this issue

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:17 PM
  • Intel Most likley will have to release a WDDM driver that will support your motherboards intergrated video driver for vista, intel may take awhile to release these as alot of their effort right now is in getting conroe released
    Friday, June 16, 2006 9:51 PM
  • http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=1862&DwnldID=10303&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows* XP Professional&lang=eng

there is a link to the latest intel drivers for the 915, it might work but i think you will have to wait for WDDM drivers,

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:57 PM
  • check here: it's not on:
    http://www.averatecforums.com/archive/index.php/t-3491.html

only the 945, not the 915. I'm stuck in the same boat... guess MS doesn't get the sail, because I'm not upgrading to get the same thing I have in XP.
    Monday, July 10, 2006 6:18 AM
  • I have the same Mobile Intel 915GM graphics adpater and running in to the same problem. I ran the upgrade advisor scan and looks like that driver is not WDDM capable and hence AERO is not getting enabled. I would like to know is INTEL or MICROSOFT going to provide the driver:

Action Required

Upgrade your graphics adapter Your current graphics adapter will not support the Windows Aero™ user interface. Contact your PC retailer to see if an upgrade is possible. To see a list of graphics adapters that support Windows Aero™ click here.

The following capabilities are required to enable the Windows Aero™ user interface:
    Support for DirectX 9 is required. Your current graphics adapter supports this technology.
    A WDDM driver is required. Your graphics adapter is not expected to support this.
    The graphics adapter must either have at least 128MB of dedicated Video RAM or use shared memory.
    Your current graphics adapter has 128.00 MB of dedicated memory.
    Support for Pixel Shader 2.0 is required. Your current graphics adapter supports this.
    Support for 32bits per pixel. Your current graphics adapter supports this.
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:39 PM
  • I have forwarded your question as to who will create WDDM drivers for older chipsets (MS or OEMs) to some folks who probably know. I'll post their reply when I get one.

vv

J.O.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:52 PM
  • thanks Jamie

it will be good to know how far back they will be able to make drivers for onbaord card to support Aero, so many corperate boxes have intergrated graphics that they won't be able to run aero, though i assume most corps will turn it off anyway to save resources...

Friday, July 14, 2006 3:00 AM
  • Exactly, why intel abandon us, people who uses 915GM chip?? Some of us have just bought new laptop just last year. I hope they will change their mind or at least Microsoft should make the driver for us. If not, I see no point to buy Windows Vista Ultimate to enjoy the new UI Aero.

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 7:37 AM
  • just bought a new laptop last week, with a 915GM chipset,  SPECIFICALLY because my old one wouldnt run Aero Glass.  The 915GM chipset DOES have all the HARDWARE requirements to run glass, and even has Vista-capable approval, according to the following page:  http://www.pcnx.com/view/1352/

As you can imagine, I was FURIOUS to find that I STILL couldnt run Vista Glass.  It seems that Vista-capable approval means absolutely nothing.  No wonder Intel's 915GM inventories are swelling out of control. How do they expect to sell the chip if they wont bother writing WDDM or OpenGL drivers for it?

I am tempted to start writing my own open source version of the WDM, which DOES run on older chipsets, but it seems that Vista also does not support hardware accellerated OpenGL on this chipset, even if you install the latest XP ICD drivers.  That would mean that an OpenGL based version of the Glass interface could only run on XP and probably Linux. 

As for networking, all the new security features in Vista, makes your computer more paranoid than a Crack-head in the forrest, and blocks you from doing anything useful, besides browsing the web.  The Sync Centre lets you browse files on a PocketPC, but ONLY via a cradle. And thats IT! You cant actually perform a Sync, even WITH a cradle.  And even if you could, WiFi syncing hasnt worked since ActiveSync 3.8. Thats why most users, who dont carry a cradle in their pocket, wont upgrade to newer versions.

But, Vista blocks you from even installing ActiveSync 3.8 due to "incompatibility issues".  Linking a PocketPC and Vista PC via Wifi or Bluetooth, has become pointless. Although they can link, and even ping each other, nothing else works. No syncing, no file-sharing, no printing. All they can do is ping!  How useless is that!   Also, you're forced to use the crappy microsoft Bluetooth drivers, since the WIDCOMM drivers are locked out too.

The ONLY attractive feature left in Vista, is the speech recognition, which is a port of the Linux based Sphynx speech engine anyway.  Thats it. Im switching to Linux.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 2:06 PM
  • i have the same problem running rc1... if intel does not fix this I will NOT upgrade.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:20 PM
  • I have the same problem with my 6 month old laptop with Intel 915GM chipset. I hope fix the problem with this model.
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:42 PM
  • Me either, i won't upgrade that something is all most same as xp, and spend that kind of money. It's not only us, there are so many people out there are using 915gm with a gma900 graphical video card.
    Thursday, October 5, 2006 3:30 AM
  • I would not worry too much, there is so much heat on Intel and Microsoft about the 915 graphics chipset that someone will release a WDDM driver for it.

I would assume that Intel may get round to it at some point, or if not them then an edited version of the 945 driver may get retrofitted.

After all almost all of the Centrino based laptops use the chip, and they cannot just get a 3rd party addon card.

Oh well, I turn AERO off on my desktop anyhow, but I think that's because I use my laptop 95% of the time, and only use the desktop as a desktop the other 5% because it's my Media Center PC.

Glass looks nice, but unless I can use it on all my devices, I'll use it on none, oh well.

Intel / MS - Please give us a driver for the 915 GPU, Pretty please :)

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 3:39 PM
  • It's troubling to know that they are both under pressure, because that means they will both point fingers at the other one as to who should fix this.  I will definately buy VISTA if they release a WDDM driver for the 915gm.  I got this nice little HP special edition laptop less than 6 months ago, and if it won't run VISTA than it won't be that special.  At a recent Technet event I attended our presenter seemed to think with all the 915 PC's out there, that intel would have no choice but to support.  I work with developers all the time, and if any of you have, I think you'll agree, usually they are not in a hurry, and when you rush them, it doesn't work well, so maybe patience is key here, hopefully someone will at least come out and say "Yes, we are working on it, and we will release this."

Thanks For Letting me add to the rant

Dave

Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:24 AM
  • Not sure if this will work but it did for me when RC2 suddenly broke Aero....... Thanks to drahnier for this......

first set

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD)
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy set to 2 (32-bit DWORD)

then

Restart DWM from command prompt: 'net stop uxsms', then 'net start uxsms'

worked for me.

drahnier 

Friday, October 13, 2006 6:56 AM
  • Just so you know, the Aero interface won't work no matter what reg etc if you dont have WDDM video drivers.

To check go into device manager and have a look at the driver name, all the MS drivers either have XDDM (no good) or WDDM (good) at the end of the driver string.

Just to save some time if your thinking of trying the reg stuff.

If you do have WDDM drivers and Aero is not an option, easiest thing to try to get it going is to run the Vista System Rating test again. That usually sorts it, just make sure you have nothing else running at the time for best results.

Ashleigh

Friday, October 13, 2006 9:59 AM
  •  Virstulte wrote:
    The only problem with my integrated video is that it doesn't support a WDDM driver...does this mean I can't use AERO at all? The only option I have is Windows Vista Basic, no Aero at all. I tried the CTRL-SHIFT-F9 hotkey and nothing happened. I have a genuine copy of Vista Ultimate Beta 2, and I'm confused.

I originally thought that the WDDM driver was only going to be used to implement the "glassness" of the UI, because I have pixel shader support and all the other requirements.

Thanks!
    Monday, October 16, 2006 9:39 PM
  • a petition online... if you could all please sign it... maybe they will listen

thanks!!  

http://www.petitiononline.com/intel915/petition.html

Saturday, November 4, 2006 2:24 AM
  • I have the same chipset and signed the petition. Hopefully it helps.
    Thursday, November 9, 2006 1:24 AM
  • hmm, yeah well
    For all we people who have 915 graphics in our laptops...
    it's a shame we can't watch the eye candy that is aero glass... but be honest here... would you use it? I for myself would probably have it turned on for a week, and then i'd go to the basic aero interface, or no themes at all...

For me, a laptop is a portable toolbox, i want my programs to run as fast as they can.
    How many of you guys create a script to do something automated, so you don't have to click through a lot of menu's in windows? I do that a lot, why? because it saves time!

I've used computers as long as i can remember... and of course it is awesome if it looks smooth, but in the end, we all just want a fast pc that doesnt take ages to load up an application.
    The aero glass will get boring just as the green/blue windows xp skin!!!

Then there's the issue of trying to pressure either MS or Intel into making a WDDM driver.
    Do you honestly think Aero Glass would run decently on your 915 chipset?
    I seriously think you're agitated with it within a week on the 915...

If i'd wanted eye candy, i'd have bought a mac or a fancy PC . Not a laptop...
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:29 AM
  • Thats great that you are happy with being limited to the basic skin but I think the rest of us would be disappointed if these drivers don't get developed.

But maybe this is just a lesson for all of us to buy laptops with ati or nvidia graphics cards... then again maybe intel will do its job.
    Saturday, November 18, 2006 2:17 AM
  • http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-023606.htm#5

It seems Intel wouldn't provide WDDM for GMA900...

Monday, November 20, 2006 3:08 PM
  • They won't develop the drivers and that means only one thing to me:
    1.Switching to Ubuntu Linux, where the 3D desktop works (Beryl/Compiz)
    2.Never buying Intel hardware again

I didn't buy a brand new laptop only to be pushed into buying new hardware by two of the biggest monopolistic corporations in the world... It' funny how an 2002 nVidia card runs Aero and Intel's 2004 hardware won't run it...
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:56 PM
  • Unfortunately for some this regedit will not work on the final release of Vista...

Keithox wrote:

Not sure if this will work but it did for me when RC2 suddenly broke Aero....... Thanks to drahnier for this......

first set

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD)
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy set to 2 (32-bit DWORD)

then

Restart DWM from command prompt: 'net stop uxsms', then 'net start uxsms'

worked for me.

drahnier 

Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:22 AM