Exchange 2016 and Internet domain hosting server RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

I have MX record pointing to my Internet domain hosting server.

I want to install a Exchange 2016 in a LAN.

I would like that every user form a LAN can use Exchange to send and receive mail from Internet, saving inbound/outbond messages in Exchange, but leaving incoming messages in the Internet domain hosting mail server too (like now is configured in Outlook). 

I am not sure, but I suppose that I have to use SmartHost in SMTP connector? In this case, can I use for authentication for every mailbox the same authentication (e-mail and password) of  Internet domain hosting server?

Thank you!

Monday, September 24, 2018 7:11 AM

All replies

• You can leave the MX records at your hosting provider. However be mindfull that the relay servers at the hosting provider will be the only entry point for mails that come from the internet. Meaning that each mail that traverses the internet will be handled by that relay server.

That being said, you can setup an exchange server on your lan. Just create a send connector and add the relay servers from your provider on your send connector. Now for as scope you can use an * as domain it should forward email messages for. Doing so it will automatically know that is should forward all email messages bound for the internet towards the relay provider. What authentication you should be using also depends on your relaying partnet. Most of the time they will whitelist your external IP. 

Now for internal mail, Exchange works like this:

It uses its own "address book" to look up and identify if it has an identity matching the e-mail address in the to address header from a specific mail. this identity can be anything, ranging from contact to mailbox to distribution group. It then delivers the mail accordingly. 

However be mindfull that mail from the internet (external) still won't  reach your internal users. For this to happen you would need to use methods available at your relaying partner. For example forwarding, proxy addresses, internal relay, etc. It all actually depends on your usecase and whatever your relaying partner supports.

On exchange side you will then have to setup a receive connector to receive mail from the relaying partner.

Monday, September 24, 2018 11:17 AM
  • Hi kiril,

Any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people. 

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:18 AM
  • I'll try and comment here. Thank you Kyle!
    Friday, May 24, 2019 12:56 PM