Wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network is not detected! RRS feed

• Question

• On my Windows 7 laptop, I have created a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network, but I couldn't detect it from my Windows 8.1 phone. I created another one on my friend's laptop, but neither myself, her nor another friend of us were able to detect it from their Android phones and my Windows phone.

How can I get it working successfully?

Additional info: I haven't received any error on both laptops. I have admin rights. I'm connected to the internet wire. WLAN AutoConfig service is automatic and started.

Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Seaoar ,

We may misunderstand the ad-hoc feature ,it only supports the computer to computer .Here is a link for reference :

Set up a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-computer-to-computer-adhoc-network#1TC=windows-7

To create a wifi and connect the phone ,we may need to take the steps according to the link I have posted in my third answer.It is used to create a virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter .

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/general/guide-alternate-to-ad-hoc-wi-fi-network-t1924911

Best regards

MeipoXu, I appreciate your concern and let me correct you.

In the 1st link it says "An ad hoc network is a temporary connection  between computers  and devices used for a specific purpose". So it should not be only computers. Plus Iphone connects to it why not Windows phone?

2nd, why do you insist to post me a line about Android? I only tried connecting my friends' Android devices for tesing purposes. My own phone is Windows.

3rd I found a way to create a connection from cmd and it worked successfully without any problem. here is the command:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<network name> key=<passkey>

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

I hope other will benefit from my discovery.

• Edited by Seaoar Friday, February 6, 2015 10:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Seaoar Friday, February 6, 2015 10:17 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Seaoar,

How did you setup the Wireless ad hoc ? Will the Wireless ad hoc detected by the other pc ?

Please check whether the "Network discovery "has been turned on .
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings\Turn on network discovery

Usually we can take the following steps to setup the Wireless ad hoc.

•Open the Start Menu.
    •Click Control Panel.
    •Click Network and Internet.
    •Click Network and Sharing Center.
    •Under Change your networking settings, click Set up a new connection or network.
    •Select Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network.
    •Click on Next twice.
    •Enter the Network name such as "MyNetwork".
    •Select the Security WAP (or WEP).
    •Enter the Security key or password.
    •Check Save this network check box.
    •Click Turn on Internet connection sharing.

Best regards

Monday, January 26, 2015 10:57 AM
  • These are the steps that I already followed fully. I even made it without security (authentication) and without encryption with no avail!
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Hi Seaoar ,

Is the wireless ad hoc listed in it`s own machine ?

When we create a wireless ad hoc successfully ,it should be listed like this :

Please check whether the "Network discovery "has been turned on .
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings\Turn on network discovery

Will the two pc detect each other`s Wireless ad hoc ?

If there are antivirus software in the machines ,please turn off them temporarily to have a check .

Best regards

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:52 AM
  • Off course it's listed and I already stated that I had followed everything you said earlier before you said it. What I meant mainly was this "Network discovery" thing.

Laptop to laptop connection works fine with and without authentication. Everything works file up to the internet access on the laptop that connects through the other.

iphone 4S, 5 & 5S can connect only withOUT authentication. With authentication, they can detect the ad hoc network of the laptop, but somehow they fail to connect.

My windows phone plus 4 other android phones cannot even detect the network to begin with!

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:09 AM
  • Hi Seaoar,

"iphone4S, 5 & 5S can connect only withOUT authentication. With authentication, they can detect the ad hoc network of the laptop, but somehow they fail to connect."
     Have you got any errors ?Please check the Event Viewer for any errors related to this issue .It will be useful to troubleshoot the issue .If there are any antivirus software ,please turn them off temporarily to have a check .

As an alternative choice ,we can use the command to setup the wireless ad host to have a check.
     Here is a link for reference :
     [Guide] Alternate to Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi Network for your Android Device
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/general/guide-alternate-to-ad-hoc-wi-fi-network-t1924911

Before we begin to setup it ,we should run " netsh wlan show drivers". Notice the string "Hosted network supported". It must contain "Yes". Otherwise, you are out of luck - your wireless adapter drivers do not support the hosted network feature.

Please update your network driver or reinstall it to have a check .

"My windows phone plus 4 other android phones cannot even detect the network to begin with!"

You may need to look for help from the phones forum for help at the same time ,there may be some configurations we missed here .
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:54 AM
  • No errors as I mention in OP. You know MeipoXu, if I get hold of anything, trust me I'll share it. It simply doesn't work, no errors and I followed the procedure so many times in different laptops. But why would iPhone detect it? The problem seems to be with Windows phone.

I don't know how to check eventviewr.

My phone is Windows 8.1, so I'm not interested in creating alternate for android. I used android for testing for oly.

Hosted network supported is Yes

Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:35 AM
  • Hi Seaoar ,

We may misunderstand the ad-hoc feature ,it only supports the computer to computer .Here is a link for reference :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-computer-to-computer-adhoc-network#1TC=windows-7

To create a wifi and connect the phone ,we may need to take the steps according to the link I have posted in my third answer.It is used to create a virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter .

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:40 AM
  • Hi Seaoar ,

Best regards

MeipoXu, I appreciate your concern and let me correct you.

In the 1st link it says "An ad hoc network is a temporary connection  between computers  and devices used for a specific purpose". So it should not be only computers. Plus Iphone connects to it why not Windows phone?

2nd, why do you insist to post me a line about Android? I only tried connecting my friends' Android devices for tesing purposes. My own phone is Windows.

3rd I found a way to create a connection from cmd and it worked successfully without any problem. here is the command:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<network name> key=<passkey>

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

I hope other will benefit from my discovery.

• Edited by Seaoar Friday, February 6, 2015 10:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Seaoar Friday, February 6, 2015 10:17 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Hi Seaoar,

I am sorry I may not express myself accurately.The command you have posted is included in the link. I insist on recommending that link because there are several errors may occur when we run the command and it may be useful to you .The content in this link is the key point and the title of the link seems to have made us misunderstand this link  .

However, thanks for sharing the command .

Best regards

Friday, February 6, 2015 10:25 AM
  • But how to perform this operation in windows 8 and further as the create ad-hoc network option has been removed now....
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 11:41 AM