none
BlueKeep patch failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have been unable to apply this patch. It  fails to install and generates error code 80004005. I have disabled my Norton Security software and tried patch to no avail. I downloaded the patch and tried to install it as a stand alone install. NO GO. Where do I go from here?

Friday, June 7, 2019 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to use clean boot to boot PC into a clean environment, then install the update to see if the issue still occur.

Here is a link for your reference:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Meanwhile, you could reset the Windows Update Components, please refer the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Please feel free to try it and let me know the result.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 10, 2019 3:51 AM
  • I tried both of these methods to no avail. Same error code generates. Even tried the install via file versus Windows Update. No go. Ran sfc /scannow, no issues. Thanks for the attempt and information, but I remain without this update installed.
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

If all methods can't work, please help us collect the cbs.log.

(%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) , windowsupdate.log (%windir%\windowsupdate.log) , CheckSUR.log (%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log),

Post them onto OneDrive and share the link here, which can help us do more research.

Best regards,

Farena

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:37 AM
  • I tried one last time, both methods in conjunction. No go. KB4499164 isn't showing up anymore. I did a search for it, not found. KB4499178, an optional update wasn't installing as well. It is not showing up in the updater anymore either. No match found when searching. KB4503292 is now the only update that shows up, and it fails to install with the same error code. So, I don't know what that is about. Is KB4503292 the roll up that includes KB4499164? I have uploaded the logs you asked for, except for the CheckSUR.log. There is none. A searched produced no results.

Thanks

PS. Okay, I get an error saying I can't include a link without verifying my account. How that is supposed to happen, it doesn't say. So I can't include a link to the log files.

Friday, June 14, 2019 2:26 AM
  • https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlLObAckbqpugSsTAOaGrUDQIsMA?e=uxRDne
    Friday, June 14, 2019 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

I have found the message  "Failed to read the service id for re-registration 0x80070002"

Error code 80070002 generally occurs when some files in the update are missing.

Have you made any changes to the system?

And KB4503292 is the latest update and includes KB4499164, fixes that were a part of update KB4499178.

Make sure you have installed the latest SSU (KB4490628) .

To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog

Best regards,

Farena

Friday, June 14, 2019 6:40 AM
  • Thanks. I tried to install KB4490628 as a standalone. It stopped, saying it was already installed. The only thing I can think of that I changed with the system is I updated .net framework to 4.8, as I was also having problems with a Windows update to .net framework failing.
    Friday, June 14, 2019 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

Since none of the previous steps resolve the issue, I suggest you reset or reinstall the Windows.

Please refer to the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17101/windows-7-system-recovery-options

Best regards,

Farena

Monday, June 17, 2019 2:10 AM