none
Question regarding how to setup Server 2019 for small office RRS feed

• Question

• I am replacing a older Server 2016 system that was upgraded last year from Server 2008r2.  The hardware is reaching end of life and that is the reason I am replacing the system.  The current (server being replaced) server is located in a remote office and serves 6 users.  Our offices are connected to each other via a dedicated VPN and all servers are in the same domain.  Users in other offices occassionally access information on this server.

The current server is setup as a workgroup server running file and print services, Active Directory services, DNS, DHCP, etc for the office.  The server is not running Hyper-V and is running everything on the bare server.

My question is should I set up the new server (2019) as a workgroup style server like the current setup or should I install Hyper-V and setup a VM as a domain controller and another VM for the file server?

There are pro's and con's to each case.  I am leaning toward using the workgroup setup like the current server is using.  Please provide your input on good reasons why I should go thru the complexity of setting up Hyper-V for the office in question.  thanks
    Wednesday, September 16, 2020 7:02 PM

All replies