Server reporting two different OS versions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server that shows up as a Windows 2008 R2 and a 2012 server.  This causes disk drive alerts to generate twice, once for each OS.

I can't seem to dig into the sealed MP to see how this information is discovered.  I ran select version from win32_operatingsystem and it only returned one value, 6.3.9600.

What can I do to clear this up in SCOM. I have deleted the Health Service State folder and restarted the agent in attempts that it wouldn't rediscover the 2008 R2 OS but that didn't work.  

I searched the opsmgrconnector.config.xml file on the server and couldn't find any references to the 2008 OS.

Friday, June 24, 2016 3:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

>>I have a server that shows up as a Windows 2008 R2 and a 2012 server.  This causes disk drive alerts to generate twice, once for each OS.

I assume there are two objects was discovered , they show as 2008R2 and 2012 computer .

Based on this , I would suggest you to override discovery (for class windows computer ) for them then run SCOM cmdlet :

"remove-scomdisabledclassinstance"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh920257(v=sc.30).aspx

After that , remove  override in SCOM .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

• Marked as answer by stemo76 Monday, June 27, 2016 3:55 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2016 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>I have a server that shows up as a Windows 2008 R2 and a 2012 server.  This causes disk drive alerts to generate twice, once for each OS.

I assume there are two objects was discovered , they show as 2008R2 and 2012 computer .

Based on this , I would suggest you to override discovery (for class windows computer ) for them then run SCOM cmdlet :

"remove-scomdisabledclassinstance"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh920257(v=sc.30).aspx

After that , remove  override in SCOM .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

• Marked as answer by stemo76 Monday, June 27, 2016 3:55 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2016 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

this can happen, if the system got updated and stayed in SCOM.

I suggest to remove the agent from SCOM. Wait two days until the data is deleted out of SCOM. I hope you have Tao's OpsManager Self Maintenance Management Pack running, which also has a rule for the remove disabled objects, otherwise run the cmdlet remove-scomdisabledclassinstance.

Then re-add the system to SCOM after this timeframe.

This should create a new object with the correct classes discovered.

Regards,

Natascia

Monday, June 27, 2016 9:30 AM
  • this worked great, only took about 10 minutes to clear this up. I will check the status again tomorrow just to make sure that it didn't rediscover the 2008 version.
    Monday, June 27, 2016 3:56 PM