execution log for Proclarity RRS feed

• Question

• I know that ProClarity has events written to the ProClarity event log.  I'm looking for something like the execution log that MSRS has so that we can report on when each report is being run, how long it took to run, etc (all of the things MSRS has).  Does anyone know if this exists other than the Proclarity event log?

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 9:31 PM

Answers

• MFC,

Our query.log file (see instructions below) does not track the user or the query run time - but, it does tell you when the query is run.  I think your best bet is logging on the SSAS side. 

If the ProClarity Event log is something you do use, I have a set of sample code to help get that data into a DB and cube for analysis - PAS Event Log DTS package sample code.zip.  Drop me a line if you would like the sample.   

-Joey 

Contents of TurnOnLogging.reg file for enabling logging on ProClarity Analytics Server:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ProClarity Corporation\Server]
    "QueryLoggingEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "SessionLoggingEnabled"=dword:00000001

Article on enabling query logging:

INTRODUCTION

This article describes how to enable query logging for ProClarity Desktop Professional and for ProClarity Web Professional.

MORE INFORMATION

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To enable query logging for ProClarity Desktop Professional and for ProClarity Web Professional, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click to select the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ProClarity Corporation\Server
    3. Right-click QueryLoggingEnabled, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, change the value from 0 to 1.
    5. Right-click SessionLoggingEnabled, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, change the value from 0 to 1.
    7. Exit Registry Editor.
    After you complete these steps, the Query.log file will be generated in the following folder:
    %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\ProClarity\Client
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:42 PM

All replies

• MFC,

In the server properties of the admin tool, you can set logging and usage - this allows you to grab the report being run and the user who is running it.  I don't believe we offer a way to track how long it takes to run the report.  However, on the SSAS side, you can enable the query log and and use the usage-based optimazation wizard to optimize cube design.  Let me take a quick look at enabling our query logging and see what that can show us.  I'll reply shortly.

-Joey 

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:14 PM
  • MFC,

Our query.log file (see instructions below) does not track the user or the query run time - but, it does tell you when the query is run.  I think your best bet is logging on the SSAS side. 

If the ProClarity Event log is something you do use, I have a set of sample code to help get that data into a DB and cube for analysis - PAS Event Log DTS package sample code.zip.  Drop me a line if you would like the sample.   

-Joey 

Contents of TurnOnLogging.reg file for enabling logging on ProClarity Analytics Server:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ProClarity Corporation\Server]
    "QueryLoggingEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "SessionLoggingEnabled"=dword:00000001

Article on enabling query logging:

INTRODUCTION

This article describes how to enable query logging for ProClarity Desktop Professional and for ProClarity Web Professional.

MORE INFORMATION

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To enable query logging for ProClarity Desktop Professional and for ProClarity Web Professional, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click to select the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ProClarity Corporation\Server
    3. Right-click QueryLoggingEnabled, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, change the value from 0 to 1.
    5. Right-click SessionLoggingEnabled, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, change the value from 0 to 1.
    7. Exit Registry Editor.
    After you complete these steps, the Query.log file will be generated in the following folder:
    %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\ProClarity\Client
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Thank you..

I thought that was the case but I wasn't sure.

I will contact you personally for a copy of the package you mentioned.

Thanks again

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 6:30 PM