none
Sales Value and Rate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm new to PWA so hopefully you can guide and help me (while pardoning my ignorance! :)). When a project is created in PWA we set up a "Sales Value" for the project. Once the project plan is created and the estimated work for each task is entered, PWA works out the Actual and Projected Costs. This I presume is based on some Global or Project wide settings detailing the daily costs/rates. I would like to change these values for one of the projects.

For example, the site-wide/default daily rate is 550 (I have no idea however where this is saved?) so all the Sale Values for all the projects are correct. However for one of the projects the daily rate was 650. We've set the Sales Value for the project correctly but we would like to change it so that it knows of the new daily rate. Do you know where I can change this?

In addition to this, can you explain how the Actual / Projected Costs are worked out? I believe there is a site-wide/project setting that says that typically the daily resource cost rate is 380. 

Or if you can point me to article/document that can tell me this information?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Sidharth

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Sidharth

I do not get with what you are referring as the "Sales Value" of the project.

And also, when the project plan is created and resources are assigned to the tasks then only the "Projected Cost" is calculated by the MSP, not the actual cost because actual cost will come while the project will be executed at a later stage.

And yes daily resource cost rate is calculated site-wide as you wrote. Thats correct

I think the following article may help you:-

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/enter-costs-for-resources-HA101824727.aspx

Once the resources are having usage rates, the MSP will calculate the project cost as you assign the resources on the tasks.

And yes if you want to do it at PWA level, go to Server Settings-Resource Center.

Edit on any user, you will find the option to set the standard rate of the resource.

Thanks

Manish

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hi, 

Each work resource will have a day rate associated with it, in this case, it will be 550/day.  This has been entered into your system, probably by the person who set up the resources.  As you assign resources to tasks, the hours build up and hence so do the costs.  However, each resource can have an additional 4 rates defined in the Cost Rate table.  To edit these, you need to open the Enterprise Resource pool (select all resources in the resource centre), and click on the MSProject icon.  Now, for each resource, under the cost tab, select the cost table B, and enter the rate 650/day  close and save the enterprise resource pool.

Open up the 650 project, and in the resource usage view insert the column Cost Rate Table.  This will (by default) be populated with A, change this value to B.  Now the resources are being costed at 650/day, and your prices for this project will be correct.

There is no default daily rate anywhere of 380.

HTH,  Ben.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Sidharth

I do not get with what you are referring as the "Sales Value" of the project.

And also, when the project plan is created and resources are assigned to the tasks then only the "Projected Cost" is calculated by the MSP, not the actual cost because actual cost will come while the project will be executed at a later stage.

And yes daily resource cost rate is calculated site-wide as you wrote. Thats correct

I think the following article may help you:-

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/enter-costs-for-resources-HA101824727.aspx

Once the resources are having usage rates, the MSP will calculate the project cost as you assign the resources on the tasks.

And yes if you want to do it at PWA level, go to Server Settings-Resource Center.

Edit on any user, you will find the option to set the standard rate of the resource.

Thanks

Manish

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hi, 

Each work resource will have a day rate associated with it, in this case, it will be 550/day.  This has been entered into your system, probably by the person who set up the resources.  As you assign resources to tasks, the hours build up and hence so do the costs.  However, each resource can have an additional 4 rates defined in the Cost Rate table.  To edit these, you need to open the Enterprise Resource pool (select all resources in the resource centre), and click on the MSProject icon.  Now, for each resource, under the cost tab, select the cost table B, and enter the rate 650/day  close and save the enterprise resource pool.

Open up the 650 project, and in the resource usage view insert the column Cost Rate Table.  This will (by default) be populated with A, change this value to B.  Now the resources are being costed at 650/day, and your prices for this project will be correct.

There is no default daily rate anywhere of 380.

HTH,  Ben.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Hi Ben and Manish,

Thanks for your guidances, I think I have a better understanding of it now. BTW Manish, it seems the Sales Value was one of the custom fields.

Kind regards

Sidharth

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:27 AM