none
Can't protect hard disk RRS feed

• Question

• I've uninstalled the old SteadyState, Defragged the Hard drive, Chkdsk /F the hard drive and reinstalled SteadyState 2.5.  But I still can't get hard disk protection to come on.  I select it and it says it will need to be restarted and then install, but after restarting when I go back into the administrator profile it is still off.  It doesn't give me any immediate error messages.

Looking at the Event Viewer in Applications on details I have this:

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 1517
    Source: Userenv
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_HIVE_SAVED
    Message: Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

And on System events it shows some errors:

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the Windows SteadyState service.

Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 7011
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Version: 5.0
    Component: System Event Log
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_TRANSACT_TIMEOUT
    Message: Timeout (%1 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the %2 service.

The VCFSVC terminated with the following error : Incorrect Function

Windows Operating System

ID:

Source:

Service Control Manager

Version:

Component:

System Event Log

Symbolic Name:

EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED

The %1 service terminated with the following error:
    %2

Anyone have any idea what's going wrong?
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:36 PM

All replies

• Try changing the Windows Steady State Service startup type from "automatic" to "manual".
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Changing the service startup type is not recommended.  Doing so means that the SteadyState service won't run until a user logs on, thus preventing the SteadyState service from performing the majority of its tasks.  This creates a substantial hole in SteadyState's functionality.
    Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:28 AM
  • I've uninstalled the old SteadyState, Defragged the Hard drive, Chkdsk /F the hard drive and reinstalled SteadyState 2.5.  But I still can't get hard disk protection to come on.  I select it and it says it will need to be restarted and then install, but after restarting when I go back into the administrator profile it is still off.  It doesn't give me any immediate error messages .

I'm not sure what's causing that off the top of my head.  Can you check a few things?

From a dos prompt (an elevated prompt if you're running Vista), paste this command and let me know what the output is:

driverquery | findstr /i vcf

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:40 AM
  • I am having the same exact problem.  VCFSVC gives "incorrect function".  I completely uninstalled, reinstalled, defrag, chkdsk.  I completely uninstalled VCFSVC service.  Nothing seems to fix the problem.

What's the problem with VCFSVC service?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:47 PM