disconnecting the internet RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Win 7 with a virtual WIN XP Pro SP3. How do I disconnect the virtual WIN XP OS from the internet? I currently have an anti-virus program on both OS's. But I am concerned when MSFT discontinues support for the XP.  I don't know what else disconnecting the XP does to the computer.  Everything I run in XP (Office 2003 pro, MS Access and VB6) would still work, I believe, for desktop applications.  If I can disconnect the XP OS from the internet, then the WIN XP anti virus is useless since it can longer get updates.  Would the WIN 7 anti virus then be sufficient?

Thanks

• Edited by AccessShell Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:06 PM

Answers

• This sounds easy.  It does bring up a question.  If I disconnect the virtual WIN XP Pro from the internet, why would I need an anti virus application for that OS.  My anti virus for the WIN 7 should now be all I need.  Since MSFT will not be updating my old Office 2003 PRO (includes MS Access) and I won't be using e-mail on XP.  I could still use Office and VB6 as just desktop apps.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by AccessShell Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:39 AM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To disconnect the VM from the internet you have several options depending on if you want to keep your LAN for purposes other than internet access.

Assuming you want to keep your LAN connection intact, Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > and right click your network adapter, and select Properties.

Change the DNS setting to specify a DNS and set both to 127.0.0.1

Disconnecting the XP machine from the internet will not cause the machine to stop working, however, you might want to think about other software on the machine that may require updates or online license checks, such as the antivirus for example, or other software you might have on there.

Some AntiVirus software packages allow for offline updates, just search "antivirus offline update" in bing or google to see what is on offer. Usually these updates can be downloaded as a file on a computer connected to the internet and then transferred to your XP machine and installed.

The Win 7 antivirus (MS Security Essentials) is sufficient for Windows 7 machine, It will NOT scan the XP VM at operational level so be sure to put an antivirus on the XP machine.

Regards,

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:19 AM
  • This sounds easy.  It does bring up a question.  If I disconnect the virtual WIN XP Pro from the internet, why would I need an anti virus application for that OS.  My anti virus for the WIN 7 should now be all I need.  Since MSFT will not be updating my old Office 2003 PRO (includes MS Access) and I won't be using e-mail on XP.  I could still use Office and VB6 as just desktop apps.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by AccessShell Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:39 AM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:37 AM
  • Hi,

While you wont be connected to the internet, it is not entirely impossible to contract a virus from a USB drive if it has not come from your Win 7 machine. If the machine is purely isolated just to obtaining files from your Win 7 machine then you would be correct in thinking that it is not required.

Regards,

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:56 AM