none
Resource Pool in MSOP 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MSOP 2010.  We are trying to use a Resource pool for resource tracking.

We have the pool and all project files on the shared network drive.

Is there an issue if one person has the drive mapped to g:\ and another has it mapped to j:\

Is the corruption issue still the same as it was in MSOP 2007 and 2003?

If someone moved their .mpp file to their local drive, what is the proper way to break the link?  Do you still have to access the file (on the local) open the pool and break the link then save both files?

Thanks for your input to the above and for any additional thoughts and tips.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:37 PM

Answers

• Yes there is a problem, because the path for the link is saved at both ends and when opened by the opther person teh drive mapping won't work.

Yes the corruption issue is exactly the same as the old DDE technology used by inter-file links has not been improved.

Open the file from the network, break the link, save both then move to local disk.

Better yet, create weekly master schedule by inserting each project with Link option OFF. This also consolidates all resource data for reporting purposes and has no corruption risk. A recorded macro makes this quick and easy, but make sure that File, New is the first recorded action!

Friday, July 6, 2012 2:15 AM

All replies

• Yes there is a problem, because the path for the link is saved at both ends and when opened by the opther person teh drive mapping won't work.

Yes the corruption issue is exactly the same as the old DDE technology used by inter-file links has not been improved.

Open the file from the network, break the link, save both then move to local disk.

Better yet, create weekly master schedule by inserting each project with Link option OFF. This also consolidates all resource data for reporting purposes and has no corruption risk. A recorded macro makes this quick and easy, but make sure that File, New is the first recorded action!

Friday, July 6, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Thanks for the information Rod.  I assumed that was the case but just got 2010 installed yesterday.

I have your VBA book and am hoping that the Macros will work in 2010 as they did in 2003 and 2007.

We are talking about a server solution, but I don't know if this will actually happen.  I will be making a pitch for it this afternoon.

Thanks again Rod.

Friday, July 6, 2012 1:11 PM