none
Cannot modify allocation - error 358 although more than 4TB are free on storage volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we've upgraded our DPM 2012 to SP1 and UR3 (4.1.3322.0). Now we are facing a new problem:

The disk keeps disappearing from the storage pool (similar to this this and this thread). I have to modify the mentioned table to get it back.

Unfortunately it shows the disk (with the correct free space value) but refuses to modify any disk allocation. I always get err 358 - not enough space on storage volume.

This product is starting to get on my nerves, really. We had to wait for SP1 for a fix to this problem. Now I'm unable to test it because this would need more disk space for my protection group. In addition we we plagued by a corrupt DPM database every 3-6 weeks similar to this thread. Might all be connected somehow.

What should we do now?

Uwe

Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• It seems that the disk disappears every time the service starts. Does anyone have an idea what could trigger it? Would it help to set the column CanAddToStoragePool to true?

An addition:

- if the disk is not visible I would get error 171 right away when I try to add something to a PG stating that there is no disk space available

- if I make the disk visible (by modifing the tbl_SPM-Disk table) I receive error 358 the moment the system tries to save the changes to the database. I assume in this case everything's fine for the UI but the service ignores the disk and returns the mentioned error. This would be consistent with my observation that the disk disappears on service-restart.

Uwe

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:32 PM
  • After talking to MS support I have recreated the DPM Server from scratch.
    • Marked as answer by Uwe Reisewitz Monday, February 11, 2013 12:46 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 12:45 PM