How To Repair/Rebuild Content Index On Mounted Database RRS feed

• Question

• We have a single DAG across three servers.  They are all on the same physical network and subnet (small company).  It appears that some of the mounted databases have failed content indexes.  Their copies also have content indexes in a failed state.  We need to mount certain databases on different servers due to scheduled maintenance but as you can imagine we are unable to do so.

I've seen articles outlining how to repair the content index on a dismounted/passive database copy.  My question is how do you repair or rebuild a content index on a database that is mounted/active?  Is there anything that I'll need to do afterward to repair the content index on the copies?

Thank you all in advance for your time and help on this matter.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:06 PM

Answers

• Just stop the Exchange Indexing service on the server, delete the catalog files on disk and restart the service.

It will automatically recrawl ( you can then reseed catalogonly for the passive copies if needed)

Or How to Rebuild the Full-Text Index Catalog  (works in 2010 as well)

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by NTElvin Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:01 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:40 PM

All replies

• Just stop the Exchange Indexing service on the server, delete the catalog files on disk and restart the service.

It will automatically recrawl ( you can then reseed catalogonly for the passive copies if needed)

Or How to Rebuild the Full-Text Index Catalog  (works in 2010 as well)

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by NTElvin Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:01 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Worked like a charm, thank you A_D_!  It took a while (crawling) and a lot of back and forth between the server but everything is working beautifully.  All DBs are properly synched, we can move them around, and content index is in a healthy state on all active and passive DBs.

Cheers!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:03 PM