none
AD Custom field - View >> Advanced Features - Attribute Editor

Question

• Hi,

I created custom fields in AD and Added them to user class.

Now I'm able to see set and get this new attributes values in the  "Attribute Editor" tab ("View >> Advanced Features" Enabled) 

This only works for users I have on the "users" OU. With users I have create don other OU's the "Attribute Editor" tab is never displayed.

How can I resolve this issue? I really need to be able to read and write this new attributes

Help is really appreciated.

Thank you,

JD

• Moved by Patrick_Liang Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:28 AM Directory Services related issue
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 11:46 PM

Answers

• As you stated you already have the "View" > "Advanced Features" enabled, so the "Attribute Editor" tab will always be seen regardless of where in the Directory the user object resides.  You simply have to manually drill down into whatever OU the user is actually in, and then open up the user object properties page from there.  If you use the "Find" feature to find the user, then the "Attribute Editor" tab will not be displayed, even with "Advanced Features" enabled.  Also, the Attribute Editor tab was introduced in Windows 2008, so older operating systems such as Windows XP and Windows 2003 will not display it.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by junidev Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:26 AM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in SharePoint 2013 Development and Programming forum.

·        This forum is for developers discussing developing issues involve SharePoint 2013 product like customization and automation. Since the issue is relative to AD, I would move it to Windows Server>Directory Services forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:25 AM
  • As you stated you already have the "View" > "Advanced Features" enabled, so the "Attribute Editor" tab will always be seen regardless of where in the Directory the user object resides.  You simply have to manually drill down into whatever OU the user is actually in, and then open up the user object properties page from there.  If you use the "Find" feature to find the user, then the "Attribute Editor" tab will not be displayed, even with "Advanced Features" enabled.  Also, the Attribute Editor tab was introduced in Windows 2008, so older operating systems such as Windows XP and Windows 2003 will not display it.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by junidev Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:26 AM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:58 AM