none
How to save Project Server subprojects locally RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Master Plan in Project Server that contains ~70 subprojects that I would like to save locally on a regular basis.  When in Master Plan, I can click Save As File... but it only allows me to save the Master Plan locally - it doesnt automatically save all the subprojects.  Is it possible to save the subprojects automatically from the Master Plan?  Without having to open each subproject individually...

Details of our setup:
    Master Plan holding ~70 subprojects, it was all local before(shared data input via subversion) but we are now switching to Project Server.  I'd like to still keep our plans locally, under version control, due to the frequency of data corruption in MSProject.  Keeping the plans in subversion has saved our bacon many times in the past when someone has clicked the wrong thing and screwed the plans.  Maybe this is moot now that we're using Server...  

Thanks,
    Pat 

Friday, June 3, 2011 8:03 AM

Answers

• Like Amit pointed out, Server can keep versions of projects and can be configured under server settings -> schedule backup (in 2007). You get the option to configure how often a backup runs, and the number of versions to keep.

If you really want to save your subprojects locally, you can if the master is set up correctly. (again 2007...) In the master, if you double click the subproject's summmary row (the one with the project icon), on the advanced tab is a check box for Read Only. This will prevent updates to the subproject while in the master (forces you to open the subproject individually to make changes), but if you save as on the master it will ask you if you want to save changes on the each subproject. Clicking Yes to All will give you another message saying that the subprojects are Read Only and asks if you would like a Save As for each subproject. Again, clicking Yes to all will give you the save dialog box which has the option to save as file at the bottom. We do this once a month for audit purposes, but for only 12 projects. I'm assuming 70+ will take you most of the day.

Micah

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Pat,

You are right when you save the master project, It doesn't save the sub projects. but Just to keep the version for project, You want to save the plans locally. 

I would suggest to use the Daily Scheduled backup of under database administration in Server settings of PWA, Good thing is that you can restore a previous version to the current whenever you want. Also, you can use project retention policy to specify that how many versions you like to keep.

Its a good way to keep teh projects & other enterprise objects but even if you are trying to do it locally, You might need to for custom code/job which will get the desired result.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    Friday, June 3, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Like Amit pointed out, Server can keep versions of projects and can be configured under server settings -> schedule backup (in 2007). You get the option to configure how often a backup runs, and the number of versions to keep.

If you really want to save your subprojects locally, you can if the master is set up correctly. (again 2007...) In the master, if you double click the subproject's summmary row (the one with the project icon), on the advanced tab is a check box for Read Only. This will prevent updates to the subproject while in the master (forces you to open the subproject individually to make changes), but if you save as on the master it will ask you if you want to save changes on the each subproject. Clicking Yes to All will give you another message saying that the subprojects are Read Only and asks if you would like a Save As for each subproject. Again, clicking Yes to all will give you the save dialog box which has the option to save as file at the bottom. We do this once a month for audit purposes, but for only 12 projects. I'm assuming 70+ will take you most of the day.

Micah

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:15 PM