RDS 2012 R2 (U1) Cofiguring Client Services RRS feed

• Question

• I have a RDS 2012R2 Update 1 single box, no farms etc.

Desktop Experience is installed

Is it still possible to set things like max colour depth, show window contents while dragging on the session host in this version?

It was under 2008R2, but I can't seem to find the options in 2012R2

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, in Server 2012 R2 RDS the server generates .rdp files automatically using the settings you configure for the deployment and collection.  If you need to use custom .rdp settings, for example, disabling font smoothing, you need to use the Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration powershell cmdlet with the -CustomRdpProperty parameter:

Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj215443.aspx

If your clients are RDP 8.0 or RDP 8.1 (preferred) then I recommend you test without changing any of the experience options first, then if you feel the need to change an option thoroughly test to make sure changing it is a benefit to the experience.  Starting with RDP 8.0 major changes were made to the RDP protocol.  It is intended that it will detect connection quality automatically and adjust the experience in real time.  For example, on low bandwidth connections you will notice images display progressively.

-TP

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For RDP 8.0 or higher clients, the color depth is always 32-bit.  For earlier RDP client versions it must be a minimum of 16-bit color depth.  You can use group policy to set the color depth to a maximum of 16-bit, keeping in mind that the setting will only apply to the older RDP clients.

In Server 2012 R2 it is intended that the server be joined to a domain and there will be an RDS session deployment created using Server Manager Add roles and features -- RDS install -- Standard/Quick Start -- Session-based -- etc.  The RDSH server should be part of a collection and for the most part you configure things via Deployment and Collection Properties in Server Manager and/or equivalent RDS powershell commands.

It is possible to have a RDSH server that is not part of a RDS deployment, however, you will not be able to use the Server Manager GUI or most RDS powershell commands to configure and manage RDS.  In this case you would need to use group policy, registry settings, wmi, etc.

-TP

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:42 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Do you need any further details?

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:41 AM
  • There is DC and the RDS box is domain joined, however the client machines are not, they are being used off site (and naturally of domain) to access resources, not internally.

So I cannot control the client's RDC settings via GP like I would on a domain joined machine.

Is it possible to control things like font smoothing from the server side

In 2008 R2 when you were making RDP files the server generated them with the options you chose pre-configured. 

Or am I missing something?

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, in Server 2012 R2 RDS the server generates .rdp files automatically using the settings you configure for the deployment and collection.  If you need to use custom .rdp settings, for example, disabling font smoothing, you need to use the Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration powershell cmdlet with the -CustomRdpProperty parameter:

Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj215443.aspx

If your clients are RDP 8.0 or RDP 8.1 (preferred) then I recommend you test without changing any of the experience options first, then if you feel the need to change an option thoroughly test to make sure changing it is a benefit to the experience.  Starting with RDP 8.0 major changes were made to the RDP protocol.  It is intended that it will detect connection quality automatically and adjust the experience in real time.  For example, on low bandwidth connections you will notice images display progressively.

-TP

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:21 PM