Windows Feature update 1803 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

A question from all the SCCM guru.

whats the benefit of deploying Windows 10 feature update via windows updates??

I did update few machines  from 1607 to 1803 via windows updates and it broke wifi drivers, sound driver , start menu tiles. default file associations, installed all the store apps and a lot more stuff ;-(

Now I  have to create a task sequence to install all the latest drivers, start menu customization, default file associations etc ...Same i used to do before ...The only difference is  that now i don't have to include my wim image in the task sequence ...That's all

So the only benefit i see using Windows as a service is that you dont have to include the image in your task sequence ...everything else you stil have to do...what a waste of time...highly disappointed

Friday, September 14, 2018 6:05 AM

Answers

• There is really no benefit, this is why we suggest to use task sequences to handle IPU. 

Dan Padgett | MCSE (Mobility) | Blog: www.execmgr.net | LinkedIn: Dan Padgett | Twitter: @danjpadgett

• Proposed as answer by Jason Sandys [MSFT]MVP Friday, September 14, 2018 12:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by TG1986 Sunday, September 23, 2018 11:56 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2018 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

Yes it is supposed to be "less" work and easier but as you say right now there are issues with drivers, language packs e.t.c. 

Use Task Sequence more control and work much better..

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My Enterprise Mobility blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Proposed as answer by Jason Sandys [MSFT]MVP Friday, September 14, 2018 12:53 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2018 7:38 AM
  • When most of your estate is laptops that aren't brought back to base a Task Sequence is fraught with problems as users have this habit of switching off the device during the task sequence, breaking it.

The Update model gets around this. Then use PostOOBE to do any configurations and driver installs.

I've used both and while TS provides more flexibility and power the Update method is more resilient in my experience.

Friday, September 14, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

There are two ways to deploy Windows 10 feature updates with SCCM:
    1.Use Windows 10 servicing plans, this way provide an automated method to update devices consistently in their respective deployment rings, similar to ADR for software updates.
    2.Use a task sequence, Please consider using task sequence in the following situations:
    LTSB feature updates. With the LTSB servicing branch, feature updates are never provided to the Windows clients themselves. Instead, feature updates must be installed like a traditional in-place upgrade.
    Additional required tasks. When deploying a feature update requires additional steps (e.g., suspending disk encryption, updating applications), you must use task sequences to orchestrate the additional steps. Servicing plans do not have the ability to add steps to their deployments.

You need to choose one of them based on your specific needs.

I hope the above information is helpful to you.

Best regards,

Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 14, 2018 1:03 PM
  • Deploy postoobe settings to the devices beforehand

The settings we use for this are twofold.

1. xcopy /e /i /y "%~dp0WSUS" "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WSUS"

The WSUS folder contains the file setupconfig.ini

The file has one entry:

[SetupConfig]
    PostOOBE=C:\Packages\post_upgrade_tasks.cmd

This config file is automatically referenced by the update process and will run the cmd file referenced

2. xcopy /e /i /y "%~dp0Packages" C:\Packages

The Packages folder that is referenced in setupconfig.ini. It contains the cmd file post_upgrade_tasks.cmd which in turn can launch any PowerShell scripts or other config that you want to run.

The only bit in this process that has to be copied and named as above is step 1 as the OS will look in the WSUS folder for that specific .ini file once the upgrade has completed. What the PostOOBE field references and what is in step 2 is entirely up to you. For every subsequent upgrade you'll have to overwrite the folder in step 2 with new content to reflect new drivers etc.

You shouldn't need to install many new drivers unless your hardware supplier provides completely new driver packs for every Windows 10 iteration. We only have to supply upgrades to the drivers for our docking stations.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8:08 AM
  • Hi TG1986,

"Best approach" is not an easy question to answer, because there is never a "best approach" that is best for everyone. You need to make a specific analysis based on your own environment and needs. I hope this article It is helpful to you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/feature-update-mission-critical

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:21 AM

All replies

• There is really no benefit, this is why we suggest to use task sequences to handle IPU. 

Dan Padgett | MCSE (Mobility) | Blog: www.execmgr.net | LinkedIn: Dan Padgett | Twitter: @danjpadgett

Friday, September 14, 2018 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

Yes it is supposed to be "less" work and easier but as you say right now there are issues with drivers, language packs e.t.c. 

Use Task Sequence more control and work much better..

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My Enterprise Mobility blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Friday, September 14, 2018 7:38 AM
  • When most of your estate is laptops that aren't brought back to base a Task Sequence is fraught with problems as users have this habit of switching off the device during the task sequence, breaking it.

The Update model gets around this. Then use PostOOBE to do any configurations and driver installs.

I've used both and while TS provides more flexibility and power the Update method is more resilient in my experience.

Friday, September 14, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

There are two ways to deploy Windows 10 feature updates with SCCM:
    1.Use Windows 10 servicing plans, this way provide an automated method to update devices consistently in their respective deployment rings, similar to ADR for software updates.
    2.Use a task sequence, Please consider using task sequence in the following situations:
    LTSB feature updates. With the LTSB servicing branch, feature updates are never provided to the Windows clients themselves. Instead, feature updates must be installed like a traditional in-place upgrade.
    Additional required tasks. When deploying a feature update requires additional steps (e.g., suspending disk encryption, updating applications), you must use task sequences to orchestrate the additional steps. Servicing plans do not have the ability to add steps to their deployments.

You need to choose one of them based on your specific needs.

I hope the above information is helpful to you.

Best regards,

Larry

Friday, September 14, 2018 1:03 PM
  • Thanks Guys for your response.

I have 450 users in field who are connected via direct access.

whats the best approach to deploy feature updates to them? even if i use servicing plan, i will need to deploy the task sequence for drivers and other customization like start menu layout etc

since we have no control over when field users will get the feature updates, there will always be few days gap between feature update via windows updates and driver push package..

how do i deal with this?

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:06 AM
  • Deploy postoobe settings to the devices beforehand

The settings we use for this are twofold.

1. xcopy /e /i /y "%~dp0WSUS" "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WSUS"

The WSUS folder contains the file setupconfig.ini

The file has one entry:

[SetupConfig]
    PostOOBE=C:\Packages\post_upgrade_tasks.cmd

This config file is automatically referenced by the update process and will run the cmd file referenced

2. xcopy /e /i /y "%~dp0Packages" C:\Packages

The Packages folder that is referenced in setupconfig.ini. It contains the cmd file post_upgrade_tasks.cmd which in turn can launch any PowerShell scripts or other config that you want to run.

The only bit in this process that has to be copied and named as above is step 1 as the OS will look in the WSUS folder for that specific .ini file once the upgrade has completed. What the PostOOBE field references and what is in step 2 is entirely up to you. For every subsequent upgrade you'll have to overwrite the folder in step 2 with new content to reflect new drivers etc.

You shouldn't need to install many new drivers unless your hardware supplier provides completely new driver packs for every Windows 10 iteration. We only have to supply upgrades to the drivers for our docking stations.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8:08 AM
  • Hi TG1986,

"Best approach" is not an easy question to answer, because there is never a "best approach" that is best for everyone. You need to make a specific analysis based on your own environment and needs. I hope this article It is helpful to you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/feature-update-mission-critical

Best regards,
    Larry

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:21 AM