DHCP IPv6 Scope Options RRS feed

• Question

• I was fiddling with DHCP IPv6 and encountered couple of questions.

1. Why is there no 006 DNS Scope Option for IPv6? Also IPv6 missing loads of other options like DNS Domain Name, Router etc. I read that IPv6 discovers routers automatically but what about DNS Domain Name and DNS Servers? Do I have to add "fec0:0:0:ffff::1" on my DNS Server for clients to auto discover DNS?

2. Is there any way to lease simple to remember IP addresses from IPv6 DHCP. For example something like fd00::1 to fd00::500 for my private network. I frequently ping and its hard to type those huge random generated IPv6 addresses.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:27 AM

All replies

• I don't have a 2008 server handy to check this but aren't these scope options what you are looking for?

1.       Option 23 - DNS Recursive Name Server IPV6 Address List

2.       Option 24 - Domain Search List

You don't use DHCPv6 to specify default gateways in IPv6, they are discovered by the end-hosts using the neighbor discovery process. 

Also, can't you create a client reservation using a MAC address for your IPv6 scope so you get a "simple" address to ping?

Matt W. CCNP, CCSP, CCDA, RHCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, A+
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Yes, those two options are exactly what I was looking for. Coming to the "simple" addresses lease I have tried reserving one IPv6 address but faced another problem. Looks like DHCP IPv6 doesn't use MAC based reservation. There are two fields DUID & IAID which I have no idea of. I have tried to use the DUID and IAID data from one of my unassigned client but I get a prompt saying "they might not be correct" and it also comes up with an error saying "Specified Address is not available". I have tried several address in fd00::xxxx range.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:08 AM