Restore Deleted Email Account Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user email what was disconnected from exchange about 1-2 years ago (AD Account is still intact). I have run the following commands but can not see the user listed, much less any other user that has been disconnected from exchange in the past 2-3 months. I have tried to clean the database an a few other commands

$ Get-Mailboxdatabase | Clean-MailboxDatabase

$ Get-MailboxStatistics –Server mail.server | where { $_.DisconnectDate –ne $null} | fl DisplayName, DisconnectDate

$ Get-MailboxStatistics -Database MBD01 | Where { $_.DisconnectReason -eq "SoftDeleted" } | Format-List LegacyDN, DisplayName, MailboxGUID, DisconnectReason

And nothing shows up from the commands, along with no users being listed in the Disconnected Mailbox. Here is our retention policy we have in place. 

1 Month Delete Personal Tag
    1 Week Delete  Personal Tag
    1 Year Delete Personal Tag
    5 Year Delete Personal Tag
    6 Month Delete Personal Tag
    Default 2 year move to archive All other Folder in the mailbox
    Never Delete  Personal Tag
    Personal 1 year move to archive
    Personal 5 year move to archive
    Personal never move to archive
    Recoverable Items 14 days move to archive Recoverable Items Folder

Sadly our backups have been a mess so I know we won't be able to restore any old data. Is there something else I can do in terms of keeping Recoverable items for a longer time? Seeing the 5 year data I figured it should hold all the content for 5 years unless I am missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Because disabled mailboxes are retained in the mailbox database until the deleted mailbox retention period expires or until the mailbox is permanently deleted.

So,if we want to reconnect the mailbox which be disconnected 1-2 years ago,we should confirm the retention period has not expired first.

Here are some articles for your reference:

Disabled mailboxes :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232039(v=exchg.141).aspx

If you want to keep recoverable items for a longer time, I recommend you to refer to the following parameters:

DeletedItemRetention

TheDeletedItemRetention parameter specifies the length of time to keep deleted items.

To specify a value, enter it as a time span: dd.hh:mm:ss where d = days, h = hours, m = minutes, and s = seconds.

For example, to specify a 15-hour interval, enter 15:00:00. The maximum length of time to retain deleted items is 24,855 days. By default, deleted items are retained for 14 days. This attribute applies to all mailboxes in this mailbox database that don't have their own item retention attribute set.

MailboxRetention

TheMailboxRetention parameter specifies the length of time to keep deleted mailboxes.

To specify a value, enter it as a time span: dd.hh:mm:ss where d = days, h=hours, m = minutes, and s = seconds.

For example, to specify a 15-hour interval, enter 15:00:00. The maximum length of time to retain mailboxes is 24,855 days. By default,deleted mailboxes are retained for 30 days. This attribute applies to all mailboxes in this mailbox database.

Hope it helps you out !

Thanks.

Regards, Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:53 PM