Exchange Backup does not contain contacts for 2 users, Recovery Database. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all and thank you for your input.

Scenario:  SBS2011 with 8 users.  4 users are remote and use only OWA.  The motherboard went bad.  SBS2011 was reloaded from scratch and a new domain was created.  I backed up all PSTs with an Outlook Export prior to the board replacement and new domain.  Most users are fine, but 2 are missing contacts.  One user has a few contacts, the other has one contact, a previous employee and user. 

Kicker:  I know what you're thinking.... The contacts weren't selected in the PST Export or something like that.  Nope.  restored the latest backup of Exchange prior to the Mobo failure to a folder on the D: drive.  Using the EMS I ran a repair on the old database to put it into a clean shutdown state, then created a restore database and mounted it in Exchange.  I restored both mailboxes to a dummy users.  The contacts are the SAME as what the users see. 

Where could the contacts be?  Again, both of these users were using OWA Only.

Any assistance or criticism is welcome :)

- Josh

• Moved by Susie Long Thursday, December 25, 2014 8:33 AM exchange issue
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 5:37 PM

Answers

• If PST doesn't have contacts and I assume you selected the contact to export it than that means user didn't saved contact in there mailbox but on the local machine.

When you run the /P on database and if you have corruption in database/Mailbox than you will lose the data.
    As far as backup goes, if the contacts are present in the mailbox than you will have it after successful restore, which you had.

As per your scenario I highly doubt that those users saved there contact in the mailbox.

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad

Technology Consultant

Blog: http://www.exchangeranger.com    Twitter:   LinkedIn:
       Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Friday, December 26, 2014 2:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mavis_Huang Monday, January 5, 2015 9:34 AM
    Thursday, December 25, 2014 10:59 AM