none
SCVMM 2012 P2V fails with Error (2931) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have tried to run a P2V on 2 different servers with the same error below.  The scvmm server is in one domain and the servers I am trying to virtualize are in another I am a domain admin on both and there is no trust.  I have successfully virtualized a server in the same domain.  It gets to the "Make operating system virtualizable" and fails.  I don't see why the different domains should matter as I have done this a number of times with SCVMM 2008 but I thought I would point that out.  I have checked the firewall and DNS.  The second server I tried even though it is in another domain it is on the same network as the server that I have successfully converted.

Error (2931)
    VMM is unable to complete the request. The connection to the VMM agent on the virtualization server (CORP-WAIK.inet.syrres.com) was lost.
    Unknown error (0x80338029)

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the Windows Remote Management (WS-Management) service and the VMM agent are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTPS traffic. 

This can also happen due to DNS issues. Try and see if the server () is reachable over the network and can be looked up in DNS. You can ping the virtualization server from VMM management server and make sure that the IP address returned matches the IP address locally obtained from the virualization server. 

If the error still persists, restart the virtualiztion server, and then try the operation again.

Thanks

Dave

Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

In the same boat myself. I've tried as many combinations of conversion attempts as I can think. I just got my latest failure after disabling all services related to SQL, rebooting, and retrying the job using the local administrator credentials of the the physical machine to be converted. I heard that disabling all the offload to NIC settings and uninstalling all antivirus would help, but neither of those things helped me out. I have no firewall, same domain, same network, same switch. I've also tried using domain admin accounts. Always the same result - gets through about 38.14 GB of a conversion and then fails. It throws 3 errors in the Jobs before it gives up:
    - Refresh virtual machine properties - failed
    - Refresh performance data - failed
    - Refresh host - failed

It's maybe worth mentioning that small machines convert just fine, but larger machines like this one and another SQL server I have just refuse to convert. Unfortunately both of these SQL servers are getting very old and need immediate virtualization to stabilize them, so please post any solutions you come across.

Thanks,
    -Isaac

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Hey Guys,

The two of you are likely running into different issues.

@Dave - It sounds like we're getting past the copy (BITS) stage and <It gets to the "Make operating system virtualizable" and fails>. If you haven't resolved this already, use Hyper-V and open a console session to the newly created VM at this stage. What do you see? I suspect an error message might be likely that is preventing automated log in / reboot.

@Isaac - If the problems you are experiencing seem to consistently fail during the copy stage to the VHD, then I suspect you're encountering a problem with BITS.

In addition to applying the following BITS hotfix, you should consider running the VMMCA for SC 2012 VMM.

BITS Hotfix:

The BITS Compact Server service randomly stops responding under high stress in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows Server 2008 SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608408

More information on VMMCA for SC 2012@  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29309

Some other hotfixes you might want to consider applying:

Hope it helps,

DeWitt

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Thanks DeWitt,

I'll run that and let you know.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Hi All, 

I have faced mentioned error in SCVMM jobs, in every 10 -15 min for particular host

Error (2931)
    VMM is unable to complete the request. The connection to the VMM agent on the virtualization server was lost.

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the Windows Remote Management (WS-Management) service and the VMM agent are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTPS traffic. 

This can also happen due to DNS issues. Try and see if the server is reachable over the network and can be looked up in DNS. You can ping the virtualization server from VMM management server and make sure that the IP address returned matches the IP address locally obtained from the virtualization server. 

If the error still persists, restart the virtualization server, and then try the operation again.

Solution : Just set UAC to never notify and set powershell to unrestricted in particular hyper-v node, refresh the node from scvmm console, it solved.

Kirpal Singh

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:45 AM
  • Solution : Just set UAC to never notify and set powershell to unrestricted in particular hyper-v node, refresh the node from scvmm console, it solved.

This did not help me with my servers. Two out of 7 constantly reporting this error every 9 minutes.

Really annoying.

Regards, Ilkin

Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:35 AM