none
Windows 7 Pro loosing the mapped drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a problem with a Windows 7 Pro PC in SBS2K11 domain.

After some time the PC looses all mapped drives in "Computer", but I can see the mapped drives via Explorer

Via Network connection I can see everything and I can open files etc.

If I make a restart of the PC the mapped drives are back again in "Computer"

In Event log there are no errors

We have updated firmware og drivers

A hint would be nice

Best Reagrds

John B

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:29 AM

All replies

• On the affected PC enable "Always wait for network on logon" global policy.

Located at: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Hi Callahan

thanks for your reply

I have now done your suggestion and is now waiting for the error :-)

Have a nice day

Best Regards

John B

Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:27 PM
  • Hi

Firstly, I am confused about your state. I would like to know how you use Windows Explorer, and the meaning of “Computer” that you mentioned. As we known, when you open “Computer”, the windows which you see is the Windows Explorer.

As your state, if your mapped drive missed in your host PC but others can access to the drive, and the drive come back after restarting, I infer the mapped drive and connection to this mapped drive are not really missed. I infer it may be the power planning or power options issue.   

Since everything is normal after restart, please be free to use your PC. If the issue come up again or always occurred, you can go to “Control Panel” > “Power Options” > “Change when computer sleeps” > "Change settings that are currently unavailable" > “Change Advanced Power Settings”.    

In the list of the window, please do the operation below.

1. Uncheck Hard disk, and change settings for the hard disk "while plugged in" to 180 minutes. The hard drive will go to sleep after 3 hours of non-use. Make longer if needed.

2. Uncheck Wireless adaptor - and change "Plugged in" to maximum performance

3. Uncheck Sleep - and make sure all "Pllugged in" options read Never

4. Uncheck PCI Express and make sure everything is on Maximum

Wish you have a nice experience in Windows.

Best Regards,

Simon

Friday, August 28, 2015 12:59 AM
  • Hi Simon

thanks for your reply

Your suggestion have we done earlier, and it did not help

For your information:

Mapped drives in "Computer" are gone, but when I open "Save as" or "Open" I can see the drives

A hint would be nice :-)

Best Regards

John B

Friday, August 28, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. It is really a strange problem. I would like to know whether the problem occurred in other computers. Due to my research, there is a group policy to hide these drivers, you can see more information in the link below. If your computer applied this group policy, you would better contact local admin for help.  

http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#2650

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If you doesn’t apply this group policy, I suggest you try logon script to map drive to check the issue.

http://www.itninja.com/blog/view/mapping-drives-in-logon-scripts-is-there-a-better-way

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Simon

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:25 AM
  • Hi Simon,

thank for your reply.

I do not want to hide the mapped drives, I want them to be visible :-)

It only happens on one PC and all the PCs are members of the same SBS2K11 domain.

When the PC with the mapped drives problem are logged onto the domain everything is ok, I can see all the drives. After some time the mapped drives disappear from "Computer". If I then restart the  PC the mapped drives are back. I have tryed to map the drives manually when they have disappeared, and that is possible

We are using kix for login script, and it is working perfectly on all PCs

We have update drives for NIC, and configured setting to max (we have done that on all PCs)

A hint would be nice

Best Regards

John B

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 7:00 AM
  • Hi Simon

I will like to close this case, it is solved :-)

Have a nice day

Best Regards

John B

Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:36 AM