none
Protecting .vhd on the virtual host RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

On my virtual host I have all of my VM's .vhd files stored on one volume.  If I am protecting the VMs from the host level under HyperV (backup using child partition snapshot) should I still be protecting the volume that stores the .vhd files.  I am thinking that it would be a waste of disk space, however,  I am new to DPM so I may not be totaly understanding it yet.

Additionaly, does anyone have any suggestions for what to backup on the virtual machines themselves.  I am trying to save disk space and want to be as effecient as possible but at the same time can't afford to loose any data.  From what I have read: "DPM supports item-level recovery (ILR), which allows you to do granular recovery of files, folders, volumes, and virtual hard disks (VHDs) from a host-level backup of Hyper-V virtual machines to a network share or a volume on a DPM protected server."  So is it only neccesary to backup data sources on the VM itself so you can perform ILR directly to the VM? 

Friday, August 13, 2010 6:32 PM

Answers

• By using host-based protection of the virtual machines there really isn't a need to then protect the volume too where the .vhd's reside. With host-based protection you do have the ability to restore the entire .vhd as a flat file and manipulate it as needed, or you can even enumerate a .vhd to determine specific files or folders in that .vhd and restore them individually. In addition, you could also deploy an agent directly within any of the virtual machines to protect specific workloads such as SQL, Exchange, SharePoint directly and allow for recovery of those types of data.

Regards, Tyler F [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 13, 2010 7:03 PM

All replies

• By using host-based protection of the virtual machines there really isn't a need to then protect the volume too where the .vhd's reside. With host-based protection you do have the ability to restore the entire .vhd as a flat file and manipulate it as needed, or you can even enumerate a .vhd to determine specific files or folders in that .vhd and restore them individually. In addition, you could also deploy an agent directly within any of the virtual machines to protect specific workloads such as SQL, Exchange, SharePoint directly and allow for recovery of those types of data.

Regards, Tyler F [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 13, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

You do not need to protect both - as stated, that would be redundant.  Backing up the guests at the host level using "backup using child partition snapshot" is the best way to back them up so you can restore them to same host, alternate host as VM's or perform granular ILR.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Thanks for clearing that up for me guys. 
    Friday, August 13, 2010 8:23 PM