MS Word - Compare 2 Document Settings RRS feed

• Question

• We are having a problem with certain documents that cause Word to crash when printing.  Is there an easy way to compare two document's settings?  I am thinking there may be some custom settings for the documents causing the problem.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• Word crashes when printing?  Not to get too picky but Word doesn't print, the operating system prints.

If the definition of "crash" is that Word and/or the system appears to lock up after clicking on print, the problem is most likely an embedded object in the document that the print driver can't handle during the handoff.

I'd start looking carefully at the document in Print Previw and see if you can spot a place where something appears "missing" such as a graphic, image, chart, etc.  If you can't spot it there then do a binary search method. Divide the document in half and find out which half has the problem. Then keep dividing the problem half until you find the problem object.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Friday, October 21, 2011 2:54 AM

All replies

• Word crashes when printing?  Not to get too picky but Word doesn't print, the operating system prints.

If the definition of "crash" is that Word and/or the system appears to lock up after clicking on print, the problem is most likely an embedded object in the document that the print driver can't handle during the handoff.

I'd start looking carefully at the document in Print Previw and see if you can spot a place where something appears "missing" such as a graphic, image, chart, etc.  If you can't spot it there then do a binary search method. Divide the document in half and find out which half has the problem. Then keep dividing the problem half until you find the problem object.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Friday, October 21, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Excellent point.

I am not 100% sure, but if I delete one of the headers the document prints.  But, if I just copy the entire contents of the original document with the headers and paste it to a blank document it prints just fine.  Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks!

Friday, October 21, 2011 4:49 PM