ULS logs not showing "active user" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

is the ULS log supposed to show the active user in the "users" colum (as it appear in the ULS log viewer), or somewhere in the text...

we can see SOME user account activity from the farm account for example, but whenever its actual USER activity (ie people doing stuff in the UI) its just empty.

Are we missing something in permissions or is this just not something you see in here and need to correlate IIS logs into this... somehow (if this is how its done, is there any NICER way of doing it than with our eyeballs which are slow and unreliable?

(NOTE/ASIDE: we ONLY see this USER column in the sites we have migrating/converting to Claims based authentication, so perhaps we have missed something in this process?)

- sure I'm noJedi but that's no reason to stop trying to make stuff levitate! -

• Edited by noJedi Monday, October 26, 2015 11:24 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 11:21 AM

Answers

• The user at the other end may show up in some ULS logs but in the vast majority it won't. You may see the service account that is performing the work for the user but the user's name is normally irrelevant.

Tracing users from IIS requests to ULS isn't a very common requirement, although it can be done if you are willing to invest the time.

• Marked as answer by noJedi Monday, October 26, 2015 11:44 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 11:29 AM

All replies

• The user at the other end may show up in some ULS logs but in the vast majority it won't. You may see the service account that is performing the work for the user but the user's name is normally irrelevant.

Tracing users from IIS requests to ULS isn't a very common requirement, although it can be done if you are willing to invest the time.

• Marked as answer by noJedi Monday, October 26, 2015 11:44 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 11:29 AM
  • Fair enough - am just trying to troubleshoot a particular users issues... IIS shows "domain\user" easily, its a little harder (afaik) to match the request to the errors in the ULS logs... I guess I have to filter things down by thread id and so forth to narrow the field.

Thanks

- sure I'm noJedi but that's no reason to stop trying to make stuff levitate! -

Monday, October 26, 2015 11:45 AM