App-V : Switch Local Adobe Reader to Virtual Adobe Reader RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

In my Company we want change Adobe Reader from Local to Virtual.
    We Use App-V over SCCM and Adobe reader  is Installt Local on all Computer we Create an AppV Package .
    So we want deploy the Virual Reader and uninstall the Local Reader but if we uninstall the local Reader we dont have Startmanue enties and *.pdf is no longer associated
    If we Run the advertismant after uninstall the local reder the entris an the association is ok

Please help me
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:33 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Suggested way would be to create a task sequence or a depency to first execute the uninstallation and then deploy the package.

/Znack
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Suggested way would be to create a task sequence or a depency to first execute the uninstallation and then deploy the package.

/Znack
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Hello,

/Znack

To expand on this a little further, the Adobe Reader sequence will be adding the same registry keys for file type associations and the same shortcut name that is added by the Adobe Reader MSI, thus when you add the sequence before uninstalling Reader, the uninstall process is removing the registry keys and shortcut included in the sequence. Therefore it breaks your sequenced version of Reader.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Hallo Guys

With the Task Sequenc funktion the switch

but i have a other problem with Adobe Reder
    Wehn i open  a pdf  in the Internet explorer he block the file and a bar pop up to download the pdf
    i want thats the pdf open automatical
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:53 AM
  • Hello,

This is a setting within Internet Eplorer and the behavior depends on your security settings aswell as what zone the site is in.

Verify what settings you have and how they handle the file download aspects.

/Znack
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:55 AM
  • What setting do you meen
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry, I can't remember it at the moment - but look around for file downloads and the browser of your choice.

/Znack
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:16 PM
  • The setting is enable the "Automatic prompting for file downloads " but i want turn on this only for pdf (if it is disabled the ie say its blockt)
    By XP there are no problems with the same setting pleas  i need help

Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:22 AM
  • I had a similar problem with the virtualized reader. After a long search and some try and error i found the cause: it was a problem with the profile. Always test it with a new user (without an existing profile) when you have strange behaviors with Adobe software, they can't really code for windows i think, so the make unnecessary bugs (mostly in combination with the registry of windows). We decided to kill all user profiles at our domain, so they switch to windows 7 with a clean profile and we don't get any errors with App-V. I also had the problem, that a lot of our users didn't get their shortcuts removed when i disallow them to run an app over App-V. It was a profile problem too.

So always try your App-V things again with a new (no existing profile) user when you think: This one should have to run... DOH! :)

PS: I'm never really sure about some words in english, i have to talk it a lot more damn! :) Sorry for this, but i think you would understand it anyway. Maybe its the german language which makes me confused and i sometimes can't believe its that simple in some cases? :)

Have a nice summer and maybe also nice holidays. I've got to work.

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:29 PM