Proclarity Server Admin Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question regarding security set up.  In refining the security for our user community I have created roles and users  based on Libraries.  So within the Libraries properties I have checked the appropriate role (green check mark) and also put a red X on all other roles however when this is tested by different users they can still see all of the librabries instead of just the one they have been "checked" to access.   Do you have any ideas of why this isn't working - it seems like it should be so simple!?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Cindy,

PAS security is a cascading model, so while it's actually quite handy once you get the hang of it, it can be a little challenging to wrap your head around initially.  I'd suggest reading the Admin Guide, which has a very good section on security, and then giving this blog post a read.  Let us know if you still have questions at that point.
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hello Cindy,

Can you verify the Book permissions for those particular roles?  The Book security overrides the Library level's security.  You'll want to ensure that the books have also been restricted.

Regards,
    Amanda
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:40 PM
  •  Hi Amanda,

I did check each Books security within each Library and made sure that all roles were unchecked so the security would default to the Library security I've set up by Role however I'm noticing that for the Roles that have Author and Reader checked this overrides the Library security I've set up for certain Roles to view and access certain libraries, that Role can view all Libraries.  If I un-check the Author access from the role then the user only sees the Library for which I have set up in the Library Role level security.

Do you why this would be? 
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

PAS security is a cascading model, so while it's actually quite handy once you get the hang of it, it can be a little challenging to wrap your head around initially.  I'd suggest reading the Admin Guide, which has a very good section on security, and then giving this blog post a read.  Let us know if you still have questions at that point.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:39 PM