none
Duplicate Site collection in same of different tenant

Question

• Hello,

I have a site collection which has few number of list/libraries and designer workflows associated with. Publishing feature is enabled on this site collection.

I want to move this site collection from test tenant to production tenant. I have created WSP of this site collection.I selected custom template while creating site collection on new tenant and uploaded the WSP while creating the site collection. It gives me error that "publishing feature is not enabled...".If i enable publishing feature on site collection level then i get 404 site not found error when i access site collection.

Can anyone help me in this? 

Saturday, March 4, 2017 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It’s not supported to save site collection with publishing feature enable as template in SharePoint.

How did you move site collection across tenant? Could you provide your detailed steps?

Correct steps:

1. Deactivate publishing feature of resource site collection, save this site as template.

2. Download this solution and upload it to destination tenant.

3. Create a new site based custom template.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Kodnil Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:02 AM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It’s not supported to save site collection with publishing feature enable as template in SharePoint.

How did you move site collection across tenant? Could you provide your detailed steps?

Correct steps:

1. Deactivate publishing feature of resource site collection, save this site as template.

2. Download this solution and upload it to destination tenant.

3. Create a new site based custom template.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Kodnil Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:02 AM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Hello Dean,

I enabled "Save as a site Template" option from SharePoint Designer and appended url "_layouts/15/savetmpl.aspx" to create wsp of the source site collection.

Question: Not sure the impact of first step mentioned in Corrects Steps. In what all areas this will break my functionalities(if any)?

What are "Corrects Steps" for migrating Publishing Site Collection?

• Edited by Kodnil Monday, March 6, 2017 9:07 AM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 9:04 AM
  • Check if this article help you i.e. Migrate SharePoint Online to different SharePoint Online Office 365 Tenants: http://expert-advice.org/2017/01/migrate-sharepoint-online-different-sharepoint-onlineoffice-365-tenants/
    Monday, March 6, 2017 11:30 AM
  • Hi Roman,

I am aware of the steps given in the link. The site template in question is "Publishing Site" and i want to know recommended migration approach for the same.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:13 AM