Exporting calendar or contacts to existing pst files does not contain new entries RRS feed

• Question

• When exporting calendar or contacts entries to an existing pst file, overwriting the file, the new entries are not in Outlook.

When exported to a new pst file then it works.

I don't want to have to do this every time there is an update.

Does anyone know why this is happening?  Also, a possible solution?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi falcios,

Normally, new items will also be saved to existing PST files. Does this issue only occurs when exporting calendar or contacts? What about exporting messages?

In case there was something wrong with the old PST file, we can try repairing data file to see the result. Please refer to the steps in this official article.

What's the size of the PST file? If the size is too large, it is easily get corrupted. Besides, we should not keep PST files in a network location.

If issue persists after repairing data files, we can repair Office to see if it helps.  To do this, please go to Control Pane > Programs and Features. Right click your Office suit and then choose Change. Click Repair.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, March 1, 2019 9:30 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Thanks Perry_Pan for the response.

I've tried running Microsoft Office diagnostics on both source and destination devices and it didn't find any errors.

Also, I ran scanpst on the pst files on both.

On the destination laptop I deleted the pst and recreated them on the source PC.  There were duplicate entries even though I specified to overwrite duplicates.

After deleting and recreating the pst on the source PC and copied it to the laptop it worked.

I don't understand why it doesn't overwrite the source file properly? Can you provide insight on why this is happening?

Saturday, March 2, 2019 2:17 PM
  • Hi falcios,

Are you using POP account?

Does this issue happen to specific Outlook client? We can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

What's the detailed version of Outlook? Please install available updates to check the results.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 4, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Yes, I'm using a POP account. Patches are all up-to-date.

I ran Outlook in safe mode and ran the exports from there and it seemed to work.  Went into Outlook without safe mode and decided to select work offline and then ran the exports again. It seemed to work.

Do you know why safe mode corrects the problem and I'm not be able to fix the issue within Outlook. Is there something within Outlook I need to check or change?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, March 4, 2019 1:38 PM
  • I tried running the export again in Safe mode and then copied it to the laptop. The updates copied over but there are duplicate appointments even though I selected to replace.
    Monday, March 4, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Hi falcios,

From the description, exporting without new entries could be related with add-ins.

To check for third-party COM add-ins and to disable them, follow these steps:

1. On the File > Options.

2. Click Add-ins.

3. Select COM Add-ins from the Manage box, and then click Go.

4. Click to clear the check box for any add-ins that you want to disable.

5. Click OK, and then restart Outlook.

Besides, we can create a new profile in case some personal settings are corrupted.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 4:48 AM