VPN clients real slow RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2003 server acting as VPN and DC. Since past week my VPN clients are yelling because of slow VPN access...:O

We use an accounting software through VPN and it is damn slow now..

Any expert advice ?

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi sharq99,

Thanks for update.

That’s odd……based on my knowledge , there is no bandwidth relate configuration in RRAS, RRAS would automatically adjust the bandwidth for remote connections.

What I thought , you might like to perform a test below:

Establish only one remote connection and perform heavy load network transfer (like copy files) to check the network usage rate.

Is there any other internet  services that also ruing on this connection? And is this issue occurred on all remote connections ?

what I suspect that slow internet connection from remote might the cause this issue.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by RA.ONE Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:33 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi sharq99,

Thanks for posting here.

Before we move on, I would like to confirm the following information with you:

Have you recently modified the settings of VPN or networking system ?

Is there a slow connection between VPN server and client computer ?

How many connection had been established at same time when this issue occurred ?

How much network bandwidth is providing for incoming connection?

What’s the OS version running on clients side ?

The article below is regard how to troubleshooting incoming performance issue that based on ISA system , but it might also helpful for you:

Monitoring and Troubleshooting Performance

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc302601.aspx#MonitoringPerformance

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Hi Tiger,

Well i didnt modified any settings of VPN or networking system and yea the connection is very slow between VPN server and client computer. 2 or 3 connection been established and they face the slow connectivity. The network bandwidth on VPN server is 3mb. Windows XP with SP3 is used by client.

Any further assistance ?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:57 AM
  • What configuration shall i check in RRAS to resolve connectivity issue...?

I went through the link but didnt found helpful...

Any further assistance ?

Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:08 AM
  • Hi sharq99,

Thanks for update.

That’s odd……based on my knowledge , there is no bandwidth relate configuration in RRAS, RRAS would automatically adjust the bandwidth for remote connections.

What I thought , you might like to perform a test below:

Establish only one remote connection and perform heavy load network transfer (like copy files) to check the network usage rate.

Is there any other internet  services that also ruing on this connection? And is this issue occurred on all remote connections ?

what I suspect that slow internet connection from remote might the cause this issue.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

• Marked as answer by RA.ONE Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:33 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Thanks for update.

We have intenet connection on RRAS and also on remote clients we have internet connection.

Remote users only use an accounting software called IDS..Accessing this software is very slow.

Like remote user will click the software icon and they have to wait for a minute.

It takes time to enter purchase order and other entries.

All remote users have 512 kbps internet and wag54g2 router..

And yea all the remote users are facing this problem

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Any Furhter Assistance ?
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:51 AM
  • Hi sharq99,

Another thought , "hard coding" the duplex setting on all NICs and the switch that the VPN server is connected to.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Friday, October 1, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

It looks like you have another question posted with the same problem here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNAP/thread/1c05f137-e65e-4a13-a489-544b3c945e87/

If you can answer the questions I have there, it will help. Mostly, I need to understand where the router is located that you mentioned. For example, do you have this type of setup:

[VPN Client] - [Firewall with NAT] - [Router] - [Application/VPN Server]

Please explain the setup.

Thanks,

-Greg

Friday, October 29, 2010 1:00 AM