none
User Profile Server Application - Jobs fail RRS feed

• Question

• My Farm has two servers, one for the front-end and the second one for the Search Service.

In the last days the search was slower than usually, checking the search server I noticed there are  a lot of Windows Problem Reporting and Visual C# Command Line Compiler tasks. The server is almost not responding due to a load of 99% Cpu and 99% Memory.

Checking the EventViewer I found a Critical Event:

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.FeedCacheRepopulationJob (ID 46262093-52f4-4582-9b67-e8982e2e860a) threw an exception. 
    More information is included below. Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.IsRepopulationNeeded: Cache cluster is down,
    restart the cache cluster and Retry.. (Correlation=f260539e-e825-b098-dd3c-4485794d7e1f)

Service is running on my front-end server. By checking the Cache Service typing Use-CacheCluster and Get-CacheHost:

HostName : CachePort   Service Name            Service Status Version Info
    --------------------   ------------            -------------- ------------
    myFrontEndServer:22233 AppFabricCachingService UP             3 [3,3][1,3]

All seems fine.

Searching help on the web I ended up in the central administration to take a look on the job history:

(BZVSP2 is the Search server)

Details: 

Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.IsRepopulationNeeded: Connection to the server terminated,check if the cache host(s) is running .. (Correlation=0056529e-d888-b098-dd3c-4bd5a817e61b)
    Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.BulkLMTUpdate: Region not found... (Correlation=7761539e-1830-b098-dd3c-493a1ce84bc6)Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.IsRepopulationNeeded: Cache cluster is down, restart the cache cluster and Retry.. (Correlation=f260539e-e825-b098-dd3c-4485794d7e1f)
    Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.IsRepopulationNeeded: Communications with the cache cluster has experienced a delay past the timeout value,please increase the RequestTimeout of the client... (Correlation=a75c539e-e881-b098-dd3c-4213b06f1aa9)

Someone on the web says to activate the distributes cache service on all servers. Microsoft tells:

We do not recommend that any of the following services or applications run on the same server as the Distributed Cache service:

• SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2012

• Search service

• Excel Services in SharePoint

• Project Server services

So I have no idea what to do...any help?

• Edited by Emaborsa Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:23 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Emaborsa,

Please follow the points below to troubleshoot your issue:

1. Go to Central Administration->Application Management->Manage services on server->select your search server “BZVSP2” in Server section located in the top-right corner. Check if there is Distributed cache service, if so, stop it.

2. Try to increase the timeout for the LMTCache and DistributedActivityFeedCache using PowerShell command below:

$lmtcache = Get-SPDistributedCacheClientSetting -containertype DistributedActivityFeedLMTCache
    $lmtcache.RequestTimeout="10000"
    Set-SPDistributedCacheClientSetting -ContainerType DistributedActivityFeedLMTCache $lmtcache 

$feedcache = get-SPDistributedCacheClientSetting -containertype DistributedActivityFeedCache
    $feedcache.RequestTimeout="10000"
    Set-SPDistributedCacheClientSetting -ContainerType DistributedActivityFeedCache $feedcache

Then use the following command to populate the cache quickly:

Update-SPRepopulateMicroblogLMTCache -ProfileServiceApplicationProxy <SPServiceApplicationProxyPipeBind> [-AssignmentCollection <SPAssignmentCollection>] 

Update-SPRepopulateMicroblogFeedCache -[AccountName <AccountName>] -ProfileServiceApplicationProxy <SPServiceApplicationProxyPipeBind> [-AssignmentCollection <SPAssignmentCollection>] [-SiteSubscription <SPSiteSubscriptionPipeBind>]-[SiteUrl <SiteURL>]

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:58 AM
  • Hi,  did not help. Problem persists.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:01 PM
  • Hi Emaborsa,

Please go to BZVSP2 server, Start->Run->services.msc, check if there is AppFabric Caching Service. If so, stop it and check again.

Try to apply AppFabric CU5:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2932678/cumulative-update-package-5-for-microsoft-appfabric-1-1-for-windows-se

Then remove and re-add the Distributed Cache Service:

Stop-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance

Remove-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance

Add-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:20 AM
  • No,

if you read carefully my first post you will notice that I have two servers. In such a configuration the distributed cache service cannot run on the same where the search service run. Otherwise the Health Analyzer complains with an error message.

• Edited by Emaborsa Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:51 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:48 PM
  • Hi Emaborsa,

Yes, I have read your first post and notice that the distributed cache service cannot run on the same where the search service run.

Since the “User profile service application- Feed Cache Repopulation Job” failed is more related to the distribution cache issue, I want you to confirm that you have never configure the Distribution cache in Search server.

So now, please troubleshoot as following:

1. Try to restart the User Profile Synchronization Service through Central Administration->Manage Services on server and select the relevant server in the top-right of the page.

2. Clear SharePoint configuration cache:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/SharePoint-2010-2013-21f55320

3. If the issue exists, remove and then recreate User Profile Service Application.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Sunday, March 25, 2018 5:42 AM