A Disk read error occurred Press ctrl+alt+del to restart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi , I'm using Dell Inspiron1525 model laptop. when i'm going to format my system system is saying that "A Disk read error occurred" press ctrl+alt+del" ,after typing the keys system is restarting ,and coming Dell screen ,and again giving the same error message. Like this happens many times. What is the solution to my PC ?I have set the first boot device as Harddisk only by seeing one of the answer of this portal.
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:47 AM

All replies

• in the bios options for your computer, is your hard drive listed correctly? I mean, is the size correct? This model of laptop also has the ability to enable or disable boot devices as well as select them... In the bios, make certain the HDD is enabled (via the space bar) as well as the first boot device. If you are installing vista,  you will have to set the boot device to your dvd drive first, and enable it also. Then, when booting off the dvd, press the key when it says "press any key to boot from dvd..." and run setup from there. The fourth screen or so should show your hard drives and any partions they contain. You will need about 10 free GB'S to install. If there are no drives listed, then yours are sata- enabled, not IDE, and you will need to locate and load additional drivers for them, which can be found at the "load drivers from".. screen that comes next by clicking on the "have disk option", and typing in  (without the quotation marks) " d:\ " (if d:\ is your dvd drive, it could be E:\ or even F:\ depending on how your laptop is set up and how many drives you have...) then pressing enter. Be sure not to  press any key afterwards when vista is restarting your computer for the second part of setup, and be certain you have the disk physically removed from the drive before the third reboot!!! If this doesn't work, repost and I'll get back to you this evening. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot... This laptop is very fast through the boot phase when set up properly, so you might not ever see the little message where you can  press f-10 or f-12 to get a boot menu that will let you temporarily override the bios boot order or enter setup if you need to... immediately after the DELL boot screen, try pressing the buttons f-10 first for a full two seconds every other second or so until you get the temporary boot menu... GOOD LUCK!!!
    NTauthority-local
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:55 AM
  •  Uhhhhhhh, I forgot to mention this but many a user and more than a few techies might have missed the obvious... Is there a diskette in the diskette drive or a cd\dvd in that drive??? Either of these will cause a similar symptom...
    NTauthority-local
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem as the guy you had responded to above.  I too have the Inspiron 1525.  I pressed F2 for setup and scrolled down to Boot Sequence and it looks like everything is order:

1. Internal HDD

2. Diskette Drive

3. USB Storage Device

4. CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive Onboard NIC

I do not have any cd's or dvd's in the disk drive and I tried to reboot it by pushing the atl/control/delete buttons and it is still not working???  Can you please help me?

Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Also, I could not find where you could manually enter which drive you could enter.  I did not see the "load drivers option" or "have disk option"
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hi Guys !!
    The answer for DISK READ ERROR is 
    www.adiskreaderror.blogspot.com
    Goood Luck~~!
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:18 PM