Microsoft Surface Windows 8.1 Sysprep and Capture RRS feed

• Question

• SO I have a peculiar issue. I am trying to Sysprep and Capture and MS Surface Running Windows 8.1 (Pro or Enterprise). I am able to DEPLOY images but I am unable to capture. The problem is I get no errors. I select the task sequence and it starts running and then it gets to the configure phase and the next phase is Copy Sysprep Files. It appears to be skipping that, but it jumps right to the end and then says, Completed successfully and there are zero errors. Clearly it didn't do anything, but I don't know how to trouble shoot it with no errors.

Any ideas? Thanks

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:31 PM

Answers

• Do this.. Remove JoinDomain=bullseyetelecom.com

And your capture menu will appear.. 

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:29 PM

All replies

• So try to  log in as local admin, map a drive to your deployment share using your domain credentials and THEN run the LightTouch.wsf script.  Will this approach work?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:22 PM
  • I would recommend you upload your logs, for that point in the deployment I believe the path is C:\Windows\Temp\DeploymentLogs.  BDD.Log is your most important one and will tell you what it last did before stopping the deployment and can give you a better idea of where to start looking for your issue. 
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:23 PM
  • That's what I usually do and I get the same result. It does even show the capture parameter in the left window pane. Where you can then specify the name of the image you would like to capture. That whole thing is missing. I noticed that its doing that on ALL of my Capture Tasks....its not related to Windows 8.1. Some other issue. Its not asking for the Capture Parameters...something must be missing or wrong in my CF.ini, but this is all I have in there

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=YES
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=NO
    SkipUserData=NO
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time

OSDComputerName=IMAGED-%SerialNumber%

DomainAdmin=ebojonell
    DomainAdminDomain=xxxxxx.com
    DomainAdminPassword=xxxxxx
    JoinDomain=bullseyetelecom.com
    MachineObjectOU=OU=Imaged PCs,DC=xxxxxxx,DC=COM

• Edited by Erwabo Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Do this.. Remove JoinDomain=bullseyetelecom.com

And your capture menu will appear.. 

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:29 PM
  • Wow...trying to fix one problem broke another. THANK YOU!! SOOO, then how can I autojoin to the domain. I have tried Task Sequence variables, unattended.xml, and obviously I tried my CS.ini. Nothing worked, it only Broke my capture =)

Any ideas on that one...Thanks

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:39 PM
  • Well Check the logs in the MININT directory.....

Use Trace32 or CMtrace to analyze the logs.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Well I mean where SHOULD I set the parameters for auto join of the domain? I cant but it in the CS.ini, so should I set that in unattended.xml for each of my tasks?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:49 PM
  • From another TechNet post -

[Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequenceID, Default

[Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME
    =Running %TaskSequenceID%
    OSInstall=Y
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    ApplyGPOPack=NO

[MYTASKID]
    _SMSTSORGNAME
    =Image Creator
    DoCapture=YES
    BackupFile=Reference.wim
    BackupLocation=NETWORK
    BackupShare=\\MDTSERVER\Reference$
    BackupDir=Captures

Where [Default] would have your domain join information and [MyTaskID] is your TSID for your capture sequence.  Then when you select the capture sequence, it will instead select the non domain join option and capture your image.  Good luck.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Sorry, I mean to say when I do a deployment... where should I put the parameters for automatically joining a domain and putting it in an OU. I think my imaging issue is corrected, but since I couldn't put the domain information in the CS.ini file, where should I put it for my deployment tasks?

Thanks

Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:05 AM
  • I would suggest breaking out your CS.ini using the OSVersion TS variable.  And when booted into WinPE, do NOT apply the JoinDomain rules and when running a TS from within Windows, apply the JoinDomain rules.

[Settings]
    Priority=OSVersion, Default

[WinPE]
    JoinDomain=xxx
    OtherJoinDomainRules=xxx

[Default]
    xxx

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:56 AM
  • What I am seeing during deployment is my "OSDComputerName=IMAGED-%SerialNumber% is showing up prior to actually running the deployment. All my domain information is filling in during the review before I hit BEGIN...but when the deployment completes, it hasn't joined the domain and the computer is named MININT-XXXXX.  I never get a completed pop up like most deployments.

Oddly when I run a deployment on a Windows 8.1 machine...I get a completed, the PC is named correctly and it at least attempted to join the domain and I get a box pop saying its completed (with or without errors) I checked the BDD.log file with Trace32.exe....but it doesn't highlight errors if there were any, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:36 PM
  • But can put it in your CS.ini.  You have to configure it so that your [Default] section has domain join information, but then you also configure [MyTaskID] section with your task sequence ID and configure capture settings without domain join.  MDT can switch settings between multiple sets of deployment properties.  You just need to configure it properly. 

The example above would simply need to replace [MYTASKID] with the ID you have configured in your Deployment Workbench for your capture sequence.  Then when MDT boots, it will look at the Priority at the top of the customsettings, validate if a custom section for a task sequence ID exists, and if not go to the Default section, which would have your domain join information.  Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ryan

Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Thanks, that all makes sense. Whats not working now though is ANY deployment task. Not a capture task, but a deployment task. During the preview section before I actually deploy...the computer name is correct, and all the domain information is correct....but it doesn't join the domain and it doesn't rename the PC. I tried one WITH the unattended.xml and one without it, just using the CS.ini.  I checked the one where I had manually edited the unattended.xml and it copied it locally and all the parameters were correct. I have the task to Recover From Domain and rerun domain join too, but none of this seems to be taking.
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Just to be clear here. YOu can *NOT* join to a domain and then capture that image in a single MDT task sequence, that is explictly disabled *BY DESIGN* in MDT, since Sysprep will strip any machine of it's ties to the domain.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Yes I know. I just have several other deployment sequences that wont join the domain. They used to before the latest MDT updates. I have recreated them all, I have put the information in every place I can think of but it just doesn't do it...and as I mentioned, I never get the "Deployment Successful" however the deployments seem to work fine. We just have to manually rename and join to the domain and all is well.
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:13 PM
  • I'm sorry, I can't follow this thread, what is your problem again? If you are still having problems, please upload your bdd.log/smsts.log files to a public site like OneDrive, and share the link.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Sorry. The thread started out as a capture issue...which was resolved, but the issue was caused by me attempting to get my deployment tasks to name the PC, join the domain and place in a specific OU. Here is the link to my BDD.log

http://1drv.ms/1BB9y99

Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:36 PM
  • Again, what is the problem? OR do you still have a problem? I can't tell.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:26 PM
  • The Problem Is

None of my deployment task succeed at the  following tasks:

1. Name the computer according to my variable in the CS.ini

2. Join the domain

3. Place the computer in the specified OU (which if it joined the domain, may succeed)

Thanks for your time

Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:39 PM
  • The naming convetion you have chosen won't work because it exeeds the max computer name length.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Yes, I already ran into that. I tried it with a smaller naming convention and most of the dell laptops I am imaging still do not exceed 15 characters. During the deployment on the review screen before I hit begin, it will tell me if the computer name has exceeded 15 characters and will not let you hit next. So I just make the adjustments and it'll let me go through the process and start the deployment, however when the deployment is finished the computer is my name correctly
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:15 PM
  • So again, I'm confused, you keep asking qustions, and we answer the questions, but somehow your "problem" is not solved. So... what's the problem? Please detail the problem, the expected results and the actual results that illustrate what exactly is not working.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:12 PM
  •  I have several deployment tasks that I use to deploy images to our new workstations and laptops. In the image below, these are the settings BEFORE I begin the actual task.

When the deployment is completed, none of the settings have take effect. The PC is NOT named correctly. The PC has NOT joined the domain, and as a result its also NOT in the proper OU.

Friday, December 12, 2014 12:28 PM
  • That is not detailed enough. I can't tell what the "actual results" were, what was the computer *actually* named to? What did the event log say? if it didn't join to the domain? Why didn't it join correctly? What did the NetSetup.log file say? You say it didn't join the "Proper" OU, which OU *did* it join then?

Again, If you are still having problems, please upload your bdd.log and Panther files to a public site like OneDrive, and share the link.

How to find the right MDT log files (bdd.log/smsts.log) to debug problems.

How to debug problems in Windows Setup (Panther)

Friday, December 12, 2014 6:38 PM
  • The name of the computer was like MININT-BIB1D1U 

Here is the link to the BBD.log that I posted in a previous post

I don't know why it didn't join the domain, that's why I am asking. It didn't report any errors, it just didn't join...and I didn't see anything sticking out in BDD .log. I didn't see any thing in the event log related to these issues either.

It didn't put it in any OU, because unless its joined to the domain, it cant be placed in an OU.

Friday, December 12, 2014 8:10 PM
  • There is nothing in the bdd.log file to corroborate that MININT-BIB1D1U was used anywhere.

In fact the host name of the WinPE client was set to

Property HostName is now = MININT-SM7TGII	ZTIGather	12/4/2014 10:56:47 PM	0 (0x0000)

Your requested name was read from the CS.ini file:

Using from [DEFAULT]: OSDCOMPUTERNAME = IMAGED-049673643353	ZTIGather	12/4/2014 10:56:53 PM	0 (0x0000)

(Note how you CS.ini file is *STILL* bad, why have you not fixed the comptuername to follow the Max Path guidelines?)

And applied to the unattend.xml file that was eventually passed to the Windows Setup program:

Updated C:\MININT\Unattend.xml with OSDComputerName=IMAGED-0496736 (value was )	ZTIConfigure	12/4/2014 10:57:48 PM	0 (0x0000)

However, That's as far as we can debug, because you did not include the *FULL* bdd.log file, only the bdd.log file from before Windows Setup. Additionally, I don't see any panther logs from Windows Setup, so I can't verify what the OS actually used during setup.

MDT is working as expected in this case, or at least from the logs you supplied. If you need help debugging other parts of the installation process, please include those logs.

Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:30 PM
  • I will be doing a new one this morning, so I will attach the a new set of logs.

I did not fix the max path guideline because it only goes beyond 15 characters if its a Microsoft Surface that I am deploying too. The Dell computers we usually image have short serial #s and are always below the 15 character max. Also during the deployment, it will not let you proceed if the name is too long, so I would just truncate the name until it let me proceed, as you could see in the last example.

Thanks again for your detailed assistance

Monday, December 15, 2014 11:38 AM
  • Okay I just ran a deployment task on another Dell Laptop with the same results

Here is the link to log files. They contain the Panther Log, the Windows\TEMP\Deployment Logs and the MININT folder logs.

Monday, December 15, 2014 1:41 PM
  • I downloaded the zip file and extracted out the contents.
    1. The Panther directory does *NOT* contain any panther logs, only the unattend.xml file.
    (see my post above about panther logs).
    2. The MININT folder contains a BDD.log that again stops only at the end of the post install phase just before Windows Setup runs. This is nearly the same thing that you posted earler.
    3. The Deployment Logs folder is not intresting, it just contains the logs from a sysprep and capture run.
    Nothing I can do here.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:56 PM
  • I am not sure what other logs I can give you. That was a brand new laptop imaged from scratch. Those were the only logs on the PC. Is there someplace else I should be looking for the log files?

I don't know why the log stops...the deployment completes based on everything I see. The laptop has the full image on it and works as expected sans the naming and domain issue.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:23 PM
  • I provide several links above detailing how to find logs like bad.log and the panther logs.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:32 PM
  • Yes..I copied them from those locations. I will watch your 2 videos and make sure I get them all and repost, but based on what I see, those locations are where I copied the files from. The C:\Windows\Panther had nothing in it but that unattended.xml.  I copied the entire MININT folder and also the smsts.log  
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:44 PM
  • here is a deployment guide for more information

http://blogs.itpro.es/octaviordz/2014/07/16/deployment-windows-para-surface-pro-3-usando-microsoft-deployment-toolkit/

MVP Jesús Octavio Rdz http://blogs.itpro.es/octaviordz

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:37 PM
  • I just did another fresh one and same results. The C:\Windows\Panther folder ONLY had unattended.xml in it...no other files. If the log files don't provide the answers. Im not sure what else can be done.  Everything about the deployment works but the computer name and the domain join.  Does anyone else have some ideas?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:17 PM
  • If the panther logs were empty, then I question whether or not Windows Setup *actually* ran.

Did you properly sysprep the images you are applying on this machine?

I went back through the logs from your zip file, and noticed that your previous Sysprep run *FAILED*, please address these sysprep failures first.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Well the images were created using the using a simple batch script from within Windows which calls LiteTouch.wsf. From there I just selected my sysprep and capture task and created a custom .wim for to be used with my deployment task.

It completed successfully and I have been using it for a while now without any issues. 

I also noticed that there is no ZTIJoinDomain log file in my deployment logs, so its skipping the entire process im assuming.  I will run a new sysprep capture task and try again.

THanks

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:22 PM
  • It completed successfully and I have been using it for a while now without any issues. 

According to the logs you submitted on December 15th, Sysprep did *NOT* complete successfully.

If your image came from a machine with a different set of logs we can look at those.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Well what I mean was it didn't display any errors upon completion. I am currently running a new sysprep capture on a fresh machine to start from scratch and see what happens.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:58 PM
  • I performed a new sysprep and capture and it completed successfully. The only error was that it did not have permission to write to the registry setting for the CloneTag. Ive had that problem since upgrading to MDT 2012, but its never caused any issues.

I then created a brand new deployment task. The results woere the same. I then removed all domain related entries in the CS.ini file and placed them in the unattended.xml file for that task. The results were the same.

Another peculiar item is, its not even renaming the PC. The PC is retaining the name of the PC that was imaged.

So I give up, I don't know what else I can do. At this point all I can think is to rebuild the entire MDT server.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:29 PM
  • I performed a new sysprep and capture and it completed successfully. The only error was that it did not have permission to write to the registry setting for the CloneTag. Ive had that problem since upgrading to MDT 2012, but its never caused any issues.

I don't understand what this comment means? Can you provide the specific error here? If you are getting the "CloneTag" error in the MDT logs, then that *means* that Sysprep *FAILED*. You should never try to modify the CloneTag registry Key, that is done by Sysprep when it completes successfully.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:59 PM
  • After the sysprep finished it says " The deployment task completed successfully" And below that it said that task has completed successfully with warnings.

"'Unable to open registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\CloneTag" 

I didnt change the registry setting. I had found on the forums a way to continue the task sequence despite this error so the capture will continue.  I have used these images for the last year and they deploy just fine despite the clone tag error. But perhaps this is related to why they cant join the domain. It didn't start until I upgraded to MDT 2012

Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:58 PM
  • No. Sadly Sysprep.exe does *not* return an error if it fails. The calling script can verify that sysprep actually passed by checking the CLoneTag variable. If it does *not* exist, then sysprep failed, and you have to go into the sysprep\panther logs to verify what *really* happened. This is what LTISysprep.wsf does.

Best to check your sysprep\panther logs, if you need help, please post the logs to public site like OneDrive.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:47 PM