• Hello,

My system specs:

CPU AMD|A64 X2 3800+ AM2 2x512K

MEM 512Mx2|CORSAIR TWIN2X1024A-6400

VGA BIOSTAR 7600GS 512M V7602GS51

HD 250G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD2500KS

WRLSS-G PCI ADAPTER|LINKSYS WMP54G

MB GIGA GA-M55SLI-S4 NF4 SLI AM2

I installed Windows XP Professional x64 edition (which, I assume, you lovingly call "Vista"?) as my OS.  No matter what I've tried, the OS would not allow me to use the WMP54G wireless network card made by Linksys.  I was under the assumption that X64 would support the 32-bit drivers?  Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?  My older systems have lightning speed wireless connection at my house, while this monster I've built has an ugly blue network wire running from its back.

Any input would be appreciated!  The Card wasn't cheap, either...

Sunday, October 15, 2006 2:23 PM

Answers

• OK - here's what my Internet research yielded...  There are two kinds of chips made for this Linksys PCI card (my opinion, this is idiocy!)  My card seems to be made by a Chinese company named Ralink - the company name can be found in the actual driver icon Properties.  Not sure whether this will work just yet, but will try.  Please refer to this post on Planet AMD64 (I copied the text below, per user named Willy):

Actual link:  http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6756-50.html

How to get the WMP54G v4 working under Windows Vista RC1 x64

I used the drivers available from here, as per previous instructions. I had to use the Ralink "802.11g PCI Wireless Adapter", as the RT2500 driver returned "Code 10 - The Device Cannot Start." This worked instantly, with no errors.

• Install the Ralink software/drivers (IS_AP_STA_6x_D-1.1.3.0_2500_D-3.2.0.0_RU-1.2.6.0_AU_1.1.3.0_092006_0.0.6.0.exe)
    • Open Device Manager (Note: WinKey+Break still works in Vista)
    • Find "Network Adapter" (under "Network adapters")
    • Right click on "Update Driver Software"
    • Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
    • Select "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer"
    • At the "Select Network Adapter" screen, choose "Have Disk..."
    • Select "Browse" from the "Install From Disk" box
    • Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\RALINK\RT6x Wireless LAN Card\Installer\WINX64"
    • Select "Rt2500.INF" and click "Open"
    • Click "OK" in the "Install From Disk" box
    • At the "Select Network Adapter" screen, select "Ralink Technology, Inc." and "802.11g PCI Wireless Adapter" as your Network Adapter.
    • Click Next.
    • You will receive an Update Driver Warning. Select "Yes"
    • PROFIT!

This worked perfectly for me, hopefully it will resolve your issues also with this card.

Please note that the Ralink software SUCKS, and even with the most recent version I was unable to use it to log onto my WPA2-PSK-encrypted wireless network. Because of the security issues pertaining to WEP, you should use at least WPA-PSK, and Vista's in-built software was suprisingly good at connecting to my network.

All up, this process takes a few minutes, and given the days of heartache I've had with this card and the other, I hope it works for you!

Monday, October 16, 2006 8:42 PM
  • OH MY GOD - IT WORKED!!!

Working with Ralink configuration utility was a bit of a hassle, but (if you are using Shared mode) you set everything correctly and type in your WEP key - you are done!

Whew!

Monday, October 16, 2006 9:22 PM

All replies

• download the driver, and go to the properties and run it in compatibility mode for XP and see what happens
    Sunday, October 15, 2006 7:46 PM
  • I must apologize - I'm not an expert at "running drivers".  Would it be possible to elaborate step by step?  Thank you.
    Monday, October 16, 2006 12:48 AM
  • right click it and go to compatibility and select XP.
    then execute the file.

it is an .exe file right?
    Monday, October 16, 2006 2:30 AM
  • It is a "Setup" file - so, it is .exe, correct.  I did what as you suggested - the drivers install, and then the Linksys program asks me to power off the system, then install the new hardware, and tells you that after the new hardware is installed the program will restart after the system is powered back on.  When I power it back on, first the Windows tells me about new hardware being found.  I cancel that, and nothing happens - Linksys driver utility does not come back on.  I go back to new hardware wizard - it finds Network controller with a question mark, but then fails to find a new driver for it, both from the driver location and the internet.
    Monday, October 16, 2006 2:47 PM
  • hmm i have a similar problem with a pcmcia tv tuner.

i dont know man, sry im stuck with you now...
    Monday, October 16, 2006 6:20 PM
  • That's ok.  I just wish somebody from Microsoft would address this issue.  From what I understand, Linksys is also partly at fault for this...  Since there are not that many X64 users out there, nobody is hurrying the development along.  I would like to get an explanation as to why these drivers won't work, however - x64 is supposed to be able to run non-64bit stuff, and in this case it does not.
    Monday, October 16, 2006 8:19 PM
  • OK - here's what my Internet research yielded...  There are two kinds of chips made for this Linksys PCI card (my opinion, this is idiocy!)  My card seems to be made by a Chinese company named Ralink - the company name can be found in the actual driver icon Properties.  Not sure whether this will work just yet, but will try.  Please refer to this post on Planet AMD64 (I copied the text below, per user named Willy):

Actual link:  http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6756-50.html

How to get the WMP54G v4 working under Windows Vista RC1 x64

I used the drivers available from here, as per previous instructions. I had to use the Ralink "802.11g PCI Wireless Adapter", as the RT2500 driver returned "Code 10 - The Device Cannot Start." This worked instantly, with no errors.

• Install the Ralink software/drivers (IS_AP_STA_6x_D-1.1.3.0_2500_D-3.2.0.0_RU-1.2.6.0_AU_1.1.3.0_092006_0.0.6.0.exe)
    • Open Device Manager (Note: WinKey+Break still works in Vista)
    • Find "Network Adapter" (under "Network adapters")
    • Right click on "Update Driver Software"
    • Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
    • Select "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer"
    • At the "Select Network Adapter" screen, choose "Have Disk..."
    • Select "Browse" from the "Install From Disk" box
    • Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\RALINK\RT6x Wireless LAN Card\Installer\WINX64"
    • Select "Rt2500.INF" and click "Open"
    • Click "OK" in the "Install From Disk" box
    • At the "Select Network Adapter" screen, select "Ralink Technology, Inc." and "802.11g PCI Wireless Adapter" as your Network Adapter.
    • Click Next.
    • You will receive an Update Driver Warning. Select "Yes"
    • PROFIT!

This worked perfectly for me, hopefully it will resolve your issues also with this card.

Please note that the Ralink software SUCKS, and even with the most recent version I was unable to use it to log onto my WPA2-PSK-encrypted wireless network. Because of the security issues pertaining to WEP, you should use at least WPA-PSK, and Vista's in-built software was suprisingly good at connecting to my network.

All up, this process takes a few minutes, and given the days of heartache I've had with this card and the other, I hope it works for you!

Monday, October 16, 2006 8:42 PM
  • OH MY GOD - IT WORKED!!!

Working with Ralink configuration utility was a bit of a hassle, but (if you are using Shared mode) you set everything correctly and type in your WEP key - you are done!

Whew!

Monday, October 16, 2006 9:22 PM
  • the only important thing to get the correct drivers installed is to install the drivers, the Ralink Tool doesn't work that well, and doesnt add anything. I even have problems to connect to the internet on startup, i then can only reach the local network, and have to reconnect. So i removed the Ralink stuff from the StartUp Folder in the Start menu, and it starts working.

But my internet connection will connect every minute again(if downloading, you will see in taskmanager a drop to 0 kb/s in download speed) This will lead to laging on gameservers, and a high ping once a minute. In XP the same problems occured, but where solved by turning of Wireless Zero config, and using the linksys utlity. Is there a solution to solve this in Vista.

I already tried to solve this by turning the Wireless config in Vista of, and using the Ralink Tool, but that won't work, because the tool needs the service

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:49 PM
  • Dear SergeG, thank you. Having suffered the problems documented here and in quite a few places on the net, I have applied your installation instructions and am happy to report the adapter works perfectly now. The driver was incredibly easy to install and the card was communicating within a minute of install. (During install, there was an exception generated, but it didn't seem to affect anything.) The card monitor was really easy to use. I was able to create a profile within a minute, as I said.

This was under Windows 98 SE. Btw, I uninstalled the Linksys software before installing the Ralink software, but didn't bother to really clean out the registry as described earlier. The Ralink software seems to work just fine anyway. Thanks again!!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:55 PM
  • A small thing. However, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is not Windows Vista. XP Pro x64 is based on Windows Advanced Server 2003.. It may seem like a small thing however they are very different OS's.. Therefore drivers are also very different...

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:03 AM
  • I ran into problems installing the Ralink driver/software in a system without a prior Linksys installation. The following is the procedure I used to properly do the job. First acquire Driver_2270.rar from DriverGuide.com and unzip it to Drive:\Folder. (Pkzip works.) Also acquire WMP54Gv4_20050503.exe from Linksys.com and unzip it, by running it. By default, it will put the driver in c:\Linksys Driver. (Don't run Setup.) Acquire IS_AP_STA_6x_D-1.2.3.0_VA-2.0.7.0_2500_D-3.2.0.0_VA-3.2.0.0_RU-2.0.3.0_VA-1.0.15.0_AU_1.2.0.0_080207_0.1.0.24.exe or latest driver from Ralink.com. Then follow these steps:

With board installed, Add New Hardware Wizard: PCI Network Controller
    Select Search for the best driver
    Check Specify a location (only)
    Browse... to c:\Linksys Driver\WMP54Gv4_20050503\Drivers
    Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter should appear
    Click OK to "Please insert the disk labelled 'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter Installation Disk'"
    Browse... to Ralink driver location (Drive:\Folder\Driver_2270\Win98)
    Click OK
    Click Finish
    Click Yes to restart
    Run IS_AP_STA_6x_D-1.2.3.0_VA-2.0.7.0_2500_D-3.2.0.0_VA-3.2.0.0_RU-2.0.3.0_VA-1.0.15.0_AU_1.2.0.0_080207_0.1.0.24.exe
    Click Yes to restart

The Ralink Wireless Utility can be launched from the tray via double-click or right-click.

Note: The installation procedure can be simplified by copying the Linksys driver and Ralink file rt25009x.sys into a common folder. The installer won't ask for "Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter Installation Disk"; it will find it in the same folder.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:36 PM